Jill Myles's Reviews > Dreams of a Dark Warrior

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: re-read
Read from February 16, 2011 to January 28, 2012

***Re-reading. Reminded why this is my least favorite in the series. Oh, Regin, I wanted better for you.
Re-read conclusion. Gets a lot better at the end, but I wish there had been about 50 pages or so more of Regin and Declan flirting/falling in love. They were so serious and hated each other forever, and then suddenly they couldn't do without the other. Ah well. Any Cole read is a good read.

Original Review:
I think closer to 4.5 stars for me.

This is a hard one to rate - I've been looking forward to Regin's story for so long that I think just about anything would have been a bit of a let-down for me because expectations were so high. And I really, really loved DEMON FROM THE DARK's hero and storyline, but not necessarily the heroine. In this one, I loved the heroine but didn't really love the hero and the storyline.

I do love some of the new supporting characters, but I did feel like there was too much Lothaire? Maybe I'm the only one that isn't crazy about him. I did like Thad, and I hope we see him in Kresley's YA series, and I enjoyed Natalya a ton too - when she came on the page I thought she was Lothaire's heroine for sure, but now maybe not so much. ;)

So I dunno. I guess at the end of the day, I struggled with the romance aspect? It's hard to put my finger on it. Like, "Gee, this book was so funny and I ripped through it and the hero/heroine smoldered and the story was fast paced and yet..." I finished it in one fell swoop last night and I'm still not sure why I'm stuck on the "and yet" part. Could it be because I'm not a huge fan of reincarnation plots? I'm not entirely sure. I'm going to pick through everyone else's reviews to see what they said. ;)

Still an awesome read that I totally gobbled up, and even one of Kresley's 'less' favorite books is still head and shoulders above most everything else.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of a Dark Warrior.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura the Highland Hussy I loved how Regin fell for Declan and not Aidan as Declan. And I love that Declan was strong enough not to lose himself with Aidan's memories

Jill Myles Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "I loved how Regin fell for Declan and not Aidan as Declan. And I love that Declan was strong enough not to lose himself with Aidan's memories"

I have to admit I had my concerns about it playing out if it didn't happen that way!

Laura the Highland Hussy I was certain he'd remember being Aidan and that he would then become Aidan, fall to his knees with apologies and vows of love, and he and Regin would live HEA. But once I realized where KC was going with it, I realized how much better that was, and how much more in depth she had to go to make us believe her.

Jill Myles Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "I was certain he'd remember being Aidan and that he would then become Aidan, fall to his knees with apologies and vows of love, and he and Regin would live HEA. But once I realized where KC was goi..."

Yup! He still wasn't my favorite hero, though. That, for me, is torn between the vemon and Cadeon. :)

Jennifer uh huh wasn't my favorite hero either. Then the curveball of Regin admitting that she really didn't love Aidan but loves Declan threw me for a loop. Also agree Cadeon is my favorite. Love Sebastian, Malkom and all the MacRieve's Great Scot! Declan is a so so for me. Regin was a great heroine though and gotta love the sprinkling of Nix's humor and the dry humor of our next hero Lothaire. I like him I don't think he is as evil as everyone has been saying.

Jill Myles Jennifer wrote: "uh huh wasn't my favorite hero either. Then the curveball of Regin admitting that she really didn't love Aidan but loves Declan threw me for a loop. Also agree Cadeon is my favorite. Love Sebastian..."

I am surprisingly not a huge fan of Lothaire! But I think I am the only one. Everyone else likes him. :)

Nicole You're not the only one who isn't on the Lothaire bandwagon. I'm not a huge fan... I wish that Declan would have had to prove himself more to Regin. It was almost like she gave into him too soon, especially after all he put her through... Bowen will still always have my heart!

Jill Myles Nicole wrote: "You're not the only one who isn't on the Lothaire bandwagon. I'm not a huge fan... I wish that Declan would have had to prove himself more to Regin. It was almost like she gave into him too soon, e..."

Haha! Maybe Regin got tired of waiting for 1000 years. She was primed and ready for her Happy Ever After ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy lol!

I think I'm a die hard MacrReve fan-just can't wait for Uilleam!

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "lol!

I think I'm a die hard MacrReve fan-just can't wait for Uilleam!"

OMG me too! And she was throwing down some hints that he's already found his mate, which makes me really excited.

Crystallena Aside from the fact that Declan was a psycho dirtbag for the majority of the book, I disliked him specifically for the "honey from her quim" comment. Such a douchebag thing to say and I can't forgive him. Regin is my second favorite valkyrie (the ever-awesome Nix is my favorite, of course) so I really wanted her to have a hero that deserved her. Oh well. Still an amazing series!

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Crystallena wrote: "Aside from the fact that Declan was a psycho dirtbag for the majority of the book, I disliked him specifically for the "honey from her quim" comment. Such a douchebag thing to say and I can't forgi..."

Yeah, there were a lot of moments that I was having to forgive and forget. A LOT. I'm hoping that in future books, we'll see hints of him where he's not quite so full of his own douchebaggery.

Laura the Highland Hussy I just remember hating that he had Regin vivsected in Demon from the Dark, and I can't tell you the relief I felt that he'd been drugged during that part.

In Lothaire, we don't see him much, but he's there.

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Myles Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "I just remember hating that he had Regin vivsected in Demon from the Dark, and I can't tell you the relief I felt that he'd been drugged during that part.

In Lothaire, we don't see..."

He is, but we don't get to see him interact with Regin much. I guess that is what I am looking for - more examples of how he's good for her.