Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Magic Bleeds

Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews

Jul 18, 14

bookshelves: kate-daniels-series, urban-fantasy, favorites, my-favorite-books, audiobooks, best-series-ever
Read from June 19 to 21, 2014, read count: 2

Started #audio book June 19, 2014
Finished audio book June 21, 2014
I forgot how much I LOVE this book! Magic Bleeds is the turning point in the Kate Daniels series. This is the book that puts this series at the top of the list. The narration is sublime! Loving this series!

Original Review from June 15, 2010
This is one of those books that as soon as you’re finished reading you want to go back and re-read it all over again -- you are sad that the experience is over and just want to make it last and last -- ESPECIALLY for those that have followed the Kate Daniels series from the first book. Once again, the husband and wife team that is Ilona Andrews does a remarkable job weaving a tale of magic, love, action and mystery.

This book picks up shortly after Book 3: Magic Strikes and the novella (Book 3.5), “Magic Mourns,” end. We quickly find out how bet/date between Beast Lord Curran and Kate goes. But this story is much more than the budding romance and love between these two powerful people. There is a new baddy in town. One that can spread disease with a touch and infect even the Shifters. He also appears to be able to control a group of undead mages. Not a fun day for Kate or Atlanta.

I don’t want to give ANYTHING away, so I’ll make my comment generic and brief. But know this: Magic Bleeds is the best Kate book yet! Kate really makes her mark. She figures out who she is and where she wants to be. She faces her parentage issue and gets past the fear. She accepts her faults and stands up for what she knows is true. Kate has always been a kick-ass woman, but she grows beyond the exterior toughness and internal turmoil we’ve seen for three books. She blossoms into one of the best heroines of a series, ever. Kate is someone I want want to be when I grow up! (and it has little to do with that hottie Beast Lord, really, I swear!)

Once again, the story is filled with powerful action, intense emotions and spot on humor. You can read this as a stand alone book, however, I don’t recommend it. Kate’s internal battles over her parentage, her feelings for Curran, and struggles with magic just won’t be as meaningful without reading the prior books. And each one is worth the read. I don’t read a lot of Urban Fantasy, but this series just blows me away. The story lines are unique, crisp and emotionally satisfying. The entire series is a must read!

My Rating:
I’m actually going to give this book two ratings. I really struggled with this. The overall rank of this book, outside of the phenomenal series is:
4.5 stars.
HOWEVER, the book, within the context of the entire series deserves:
5 stars.
Either way you look at it... it’s a must read!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bleeds.

06/19/2014 marked as: currently-reading
06/21/2014 marked as: read

Sarah Great review. I adore this series!

Jen (That's What I'm Talking About) Thanks! It is definitely my favorite! I can't wait to read Magic Breaks!