Jessi's Reviews > The Chosen One

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Jul 16, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, contemporary-fiction, suspense, teen
Read in May, 2010

Summary: In a polygamous cult in the desert, Kyra, not yet fourteen, sees being chosen to be the seventh wife of her uncle as just punishment for having read books and kissed a boy, in violation of Prophet Childs' teachings, and is torn between facing her fate and running away from all that she knows and loves.

I wasn't sure about reading yet another story about pologomy, but this book was amazing. The narrator, Jenna Lamia, also read the book Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater and I find her performances absolutely amazing. She brings Kyra's story to life. The story itself was heart-rending, but the most interesting thing about this story is it not only shows the depravity and moral ambiguity of "celestial marriage," but it also shares the many happy times of Kyra's life: loving and caring for siblings, the female support offered by having three mothers, her love for her father, and of course falling in love for the first time. I laughed, I cried, I loved Kyra. The icing on the cake for this book is that a bookmobile plays a prominent part in the storyline. This book will be on my favorites list for a while to come.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen One.