Jessi's Reviews > Lessons From a Scarlet Lady

Lessons From a Scarlet Lady by Emma Wildes

Jul 16, 10

Read in May, 2010

Summary: The Duke of Rolthven's new wife, Brianna, is the perfect aristocratic bride. So what would society say if they saw her with a copy of Lady Rothburg's Advice--a courtesan's lessons for the boudoir? When his innocent wife suddenly becomes a vixen in the bedroom, the proper Duke is truly astounded by her seductive powers. Following a courtesan's advice might lead to trouble-but will it lead to Brianna's ultimate desire: winning her husband's love?

This story actually contains two love stories, both of which are affected by the women reading an illegal copy of a book published by a famous courtesan. I enjoyed both sides of the stories and all of the four main heros and heroines are likeable and the chemistry between the couples works well. However, my complaint for this story is actually one that I have often when there are two sets of lovers - each story could have been it's own book and both stories felt stunted because they shared space with the other.

The idea itself is intriguing - a woman who was innocent upon marrying a wealthy man grows tired of his boring lovemaking. She comes across the illegal book in a shop and soon begins to utilize some of the more unusual suggestions in the book. Her husband is thrilled to find his wife has a sexual side, but soon finds himself worried that she has taken a lover (because how else would an innocent young miss learn about such naughty things - especially since her experienced husband wasn't bothering to teach her?). This was a very different take on romance because the couple was already married and generally had a content relationship. They both even loved each other, but they really needed to work on the chemistry in the bedroom. The other story was a more traditional courtship story, but in which the young woman utilizes flirting techniques to attract the attention of the man she desires - and is exceptionally successful. I would definitly recommend this to others, but I can't help wishing for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons From a Scarlet Lady.