Marcia's Reviews > Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat

Making Rounds with Oscar by David Dosa

Jul 16, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

This book was recommended by my goodreads friend Charlotte. I really wasn't sure if it was my type of book. I knew the book was about a cat in a nursing home. The cat, Oscar, knew when any of the elderly residents were about to die and would spend each person's final hours curled up in their bed. Who knows why this cat was able to do this--a smell or some other sense. It was interesting to read about Oscar's ability.
But, what I really took from this book was something that wasn't anything to do with Oscar. It had to do with how people accept or do not accept a loved ones journey through dementia. The background stories of the people and their families dealing with losing someone to dementia were touching and really made me think,"How would I react?". More than one family member described how it was like watching someone "unlearn" everything they knew.
I did not especially like the way the book was written. It is a true story but it didn't flow exactly right to me. However, it is a book that I have been thinking about since I finished it last night. It is a book that educated me. It is a book that made me care about the people in Dr. Dosa's care. It is a book I would recommend.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Rounds with Oscar.

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Marcia, you should read Still Alice. It is a fiction book about early onset alzheimers and I had the same reaction to it--how family and other people react to dementia.

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Thank you Marcia, for giving a review that indicates exactly how I felt after reading it! :)

Marcia Diane wrote: "Marcia, you should read Still Alice. It is a fiction book about early onset alzheimers and I had the same reaction to it--how family and other people react to dementia."

I did read Still Alice. I liked it very much! A very good book.