Marie's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

F_50x66
May 24, 12

Read from July 16 to 18, 2010

I reserve 5-star ratings for books of extraordinary creativity, skill, craftsmanship, and lasting impact to the reader. Of course there's that personal enjoyment variable, too.

Android Karenina meets every criteria I've got. Quirk Classics has yet to miss the mark on creativity, and Ben Winters molds words I could read or listen to all day in this work. My first three criteria have been met with each of the three previous Quirk Classics released, and I expected nothing less.

I expected more humor than humanity from this, though. The humor was there, masterfully done, but the confusion and intensity of the human experience overwhelmed me. Somehow, works about machines say more of mankind than of machines. I'll read this again in the winter when I indulge in my annual "Russian winter" thing, and I'll add the original Anna Karenina as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.

07/16/2010 page 272
51.0% "I haven't been able to put this down since I got it yesterday! Russian literature is a summer treat and winter indulgence. THIS is positively inimitable!"