Julie's Reviews > Darkfever

Oct 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: nook, fantasy, series, 2010, should-reread
Read from October 20 to 22, 2010

I really don't even know where to start. This book definitely had some good elements, but it also had parts I didn't really care for.

First of all, the story itself was very imaginitive. It was well written and the descriptive use of words really gave the reader a sense of being there and experiencing the story for themselves. It was really far-fetched though and hard to really "get". All of the fairy stories I grew up with shed fairies in a good light--beautiful, benevolent and kind. The fairies in this story are evil, and that was a little hard for me to swallow.

The main character drove me absolutely insane. She was a spoiled, sheltered little brat. At times she was anyway, and then other times she actually set aside her immature attitude and seemed to suck it up and do the right thing. I had a hard time identifying with her and really disliked her for the majority of the book. Actually that is an understatement--for most of the book I wanted to haul off and smack her.

That being said, the action (once it got around to it), was very good. For the last fifty pages or so I looked forward to my breaks at work so I could find out what was going to happen next. It took a while for this book to get to that point for me though; I really could have been perfectly happy laying it aside for another read, but I was so far in at that point that I wanted to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

10/20/2010