~Tina~'s Reviews > The Demon Trapper's Daughter

Feb 13, 2011

bookshelves: read-2011, young-adult, paranormal, cover-crazz
Read from February 10 to 13, 2011

(4.5Stars)

TBR Reduce Challenge #10- 2011 (Alexa)

The Demon Trapper's Daughter is a really solid book. It's fast paced, has some great world building and I loved the clever characters and crisp straightforward dialog and wicked writing style.

Riley is a great MC, I liked that she wasn't some cocky know-it-all with attitude, she makes mistakes but isn't delusional to think she's above it all. She fears but she's a fighter and wants to prove she can be one of the greats, like her dad, and survive in a mans world.
I respect that in a character and look forward to seeing some real growth in up coming books.
I really liked all of the characters in this one, but I think my favorite is Beck. For one thing he's a lot older for a YA, but he's funny, with a great sarcastic-easy-going-attitude. He brings a lot of life into this world.

The plot is very rich with imagination and creativity. I really enjoyed the way all the demons had specific names to go along with there rank and how dangerous they are, the magpie was my fav;) I also liked that there were a few other paranormal elements added to this world, but it's not overly done so it didn't feel overwhelming.
I loved the methods that the trappers used and just basically the entire operation of it all. This would make a kick-ass anime!
Just saying.

Overall, I just really loved this one! Fun, entertaining and captivating.
A great great start to a series I can't wait to continue.
22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Trapper's Daughter.

02/12/2011 page 62
14.0% "Really liking Beck!!" 3 comments

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Oh yay! Look forward to your review!

~Tina~ Alexa really liked this one, so I have high hopes:D

Alexa Because of the other reviews, I can't say I'm 100% confident you'll like this book, but still..hope you enjoy!

~Tina~ Grrr! I can't seem to find time to read this today! The phone keeps ringing and people keep dropping by.
Goooo Awayyyy! lol
I'm sure I'll love it Alexa:D

Alexa It would make a great anime. XD
Beck is my fave character too! hehe Glad you enjoyed it. :)

~Tina~ This was a very fun read! Loved it!
Can you hook me up with another book? I'm gonna start it after Iron Witch:D

message 7: by Alexa (last edited Feb 13, 2011 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa It was. :) (Beck/Riley all the way!)

Sure! I'll post in the thread. ;)

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Number 10 Tina!! #10?? Okay, I'm not worthy. I'm barely starting #4 this week. Wow, and people say I'm a machine. LOL

Great review. I need to add this to my never-ending TBR.

~Tina~ Beck and Riley <3!!! ~pushes Simon out of the way >.<~

LOL! Thankies Arlene! You know me? I'm a reader XD

message 10: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed this book! Great review twinie. Can't wait to meet this awesome bunch of characters.

And book #10 you are on a roll girl. I haven't even started book #3!

Alexa haha Poor Simon. Now we have to worry about Ori. Hopefully NOT Peter. Hmm...love-shapes. >.>

message 12: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 13, 2011 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ No no, definally not Peter. I just can't see it. Simon is just meh in my eyes. I just realllllly like Beck!!

Twinie! I sent you a PM =D

Alexa (view spoiler)

message 14: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Great review, Tina! This sounds really good!

~Tina~ Totally agree Alexa. Simon was okay and all, I dunno, it's just Beck really made an impression on me and now all I want is them;)

Thanks Jess, I think you'd get a kick out of this one:)

message 16: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Ok, I'm going to move this further up on my TBR list.

message 17: by AH (new) - added it

AH I'm glad you liked it. I downloaded the freebie prequel Retro Demonology and found it very short and OK. Interesting concepts there. It did have the first 2 chapters of this book, but I avoid previews because they give me a deja vu feeling when I read the actual book. Nice review!

~Tina~ LOL Jess!

Thanks AH. I'm the same way, but I don't mind the deja vu feeling when it comes to books I really want to get a sneak at:)

Alexa I can't find where to download a PDF of Retro Demonology. o.o;;

~Tina~ Same here. I tried looking last night and only found a kindle version, but I couldn't even purchase that.
I'll see if I can PM the author...

~Tina~ Alexa wrote: "I can't find where to download a PDF of Retro Demonology. o.o;;"

Oliver messaged me back. It looks like Retro is only for e-reders (Kindle, Nook etc...) so I guess I wont be able to read it...yet.

She did mention that the next book is tilted Soul Thief for US/Canada readers:D Can't wait!

Alexa Oooh yet? ;)

Cool! She didn't give a hint of what it would be about, did she? 8D

~Tina~ Nope:( But I'm sure we'll get something soon since it comes out in Aug/Sep XD

message 24: by AH (new) - added it

AH There was a Kobo version - it's in epub and you need either an ereader that reads epub or Adobe digital editions (free download) to read it.

Here's the Kobo link - http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/Free_e...

It may also be available on borders.com (they seem to have restricted downloads to US only so I can't see).

~Tina~ Thanks! Hope this works:)

message 26: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I'm bumping this up my tbr list. Yup.

~Tina~ ~grins~

message 28: by Milly (new)

Milly Wow...5 stars! I can't believe this is your 10th book for the TBR challenge! You are Arlene are like machines! How do you do it? I wish I could read as much! I love a straightforward review! Nicely done!

~Tina~ Thanks Milly:)I really enjoyed this book! I dunno what to tell you girl. I just read =D