Katie Watkins's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Nov 12, 10

bookshelves: law
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I thought this was one of Grisham's better novels (in the last few years, at least). It started out kind of slow, building the characters and the story. But then it got going and was pretty intense.

Keith is a pastor in Kansas and is surprised one day when a man comes to see him. Travis just got out of prison and has a brain tumor. He needs to confess something--the man who is ready to be executed in Texas for a murder he insists he didn't commit, really is innocent--Travis is the real murderer. They do everything they can to stop the execution, but unfortunately, there are some very closed-minded people who refuse to listen and refuse to delay the execution. I was shocked and angry that they went ahead with the killing of an innocent man!!! THE VERY NEXT DAY, this killer led them to the body (5+ hours away in Missouri) of the girl. I was extremely angry. My husband reminded me that it's only a fiction book, but....does this really happen??? Are innocent people really executed? Imagine my surprise when I opened this morning's paper to find an article about a man (in Texas, no less) who was executed 21 years ago and now, with DNA, they have serious doubts that he was the criminal.

I was very disturbed by this book and didn't particularly care for the ending, but it was a book I had a hard time putting down. Call it morbid fascination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.