Aaron Vincent's Reviews > Black Hole Sun

Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill

Nov 17, 2010

bookshelves: scifi
Read from October 05 to 09, 2010

Originally posted on Guy Gone Geek.

I have to admit that the Suzanne Collins blurb on the cover sold the book for me. An established young adult dystopian author pimping a new dystopian book really seals the deal. I am glad that I was lured by that bait because Black Hole Sun is one hell of a book dystopian fans shouldn’t miss.

David Macinnis Gill’s version of our dark future is on Mars. I would naturally expect that the story will take place when the society is still settling in their new home or at least in a period when it was already reformed, but surprisingly, this was not the case. Gill took at step forward and set the story when this reformed society, due to mankind’s vulnerability to commit fatal errors, have gone wrong.

The miners who are responsible for making Mars’ atmosphere suitable for our kind had been neglected. They are harassed and preyed upon by the Dreau. It now up to Durango, a dalit(something like a disgraced soldier), and his crew to protect the miners from these human-eating monsters.

The hilarity and breathtaking action scenes of this book are enough reason for me to give it a glowing 5-star rating but what I appreciate the most is how the author addressed his readers. He knows that his target market, the YA and sci-fi readers – contrary to the general notion of non-YA believers(feel free to call them a**holes if you want) – are intelligent. This is proven by the given age of Durango, 8 1/2. It was unbelievable for an 8 1/2-year-old kid to the things Durango did in this novel. At first I thought that he is an Ender Wiggins character, a boy wonder of some sort, then I realize that Durango is on Mars and Mars years is different from Earth years. Mars takes longer time to revolve around the Sun so 1 Earth years is approximately equivalent to 2 Mars years(I’m proud to figure this out by myself without the help of Google.). Durango isn’t exactly a boy wonder, he is 17 Earth years old. Did the author explained this on the book? No, he challenged us to use our logic to understand this because it is something we can figure out by ourselves.

Another example of the author’s faith on his readers is the setting of the novel. We didn’t get bogged down with details about Mars in one paragraph or chapter. The details were scattered in the entire book and it is up to us to put this pieces of information together like a jigsaw puzzle. David Macinnis Gill knows his readers well and he has faith on them and I respect him for this.

Black Hole Sun aside from being the Guide Book to the Most Innovative Insults and International Cursing, is a highly entertaining dystopian science-fiction novel. It’s affirmative that I’ll be looking forward for more stories from Mars and Durango even if the possibility of a sequel is somehow still indeterminate. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hole Sun.

09/26/2016 marked as: read

Mitchel Broussard so amazing

message 2: by Jared (new)

Jared Bardowell-cornwall I enjoy dystopian science fiction, but Black Hole Sun was difficult for me to like. I understand that this book was written for young adults, but that's no reason for the implausible future David Gill has created for his novel.Take the governing bodies of Mars for example, CorpCom and the Orthocracy. Even if Earth had been decimated by some "plague" as in Black Hole Sun, it is very unlikely that Mars would have descended into the hands of religious theologians followed by lawless businessmen. I mean this book takes a great immersive science fiction topic and makes it kind of unbelievable. Why regulators and the tenets, when there could just be mercenaries and rules of engagement. If Black Hole Sun is seen as a work fiction first and science fiction last, it does has solid characters like Durango, his father, Mimi, and Vienne.The technology is solid too, sadly it's just the weird story about a hero stopping cannibals and their queen from trying to use large extinct organisms to take over Mars that let this book down for me. Even little things didn't make sense like when Durango says "The early Mars cities like New Eden were built by slave labor with no consistent planning" (Gill 23). In a future where robots and computers are advanced why were slaves used to build an inefficient sewer system?