Nick's Reviews > Linger

M 50x66
Dec 30, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 27 to 30, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I think there was only one part of this book where I thought I would rate it below a 5. It was a very small part. Obviously it's always difficult for a sequel to be as new and exciting as the first book, but despite the similarities in the story (Shiver: Sam = Wolf, Linger: Grace = Wolf) it was definitely...new and exciting. I think at times I enjoyed the Cole/Isabel (IsaCole or Colabel- I don't know) storyline even more than the Grace/Sam (Sace? Gram? Uggh, no.) but the Grace&Sam still felt more important. And can I just say, I'm not gay, but I would probably turn gay for Sam, even if just for the fact he pretty much on his own redeems guys in YA. He's my favourite male character in any book, mostly because he isn't the stereotypical "I'm nice, now I'm not nice but I have a good reason, then I tell you the reason and I'm nice again, then I push you away for no reason, then you cry, then we make out" kind of character. Just like Shiver, the writing in this book is poetic, incredible, whatever other word you want to use.

The ending felt just a tiny bit rushed with Cole, brilliant Cole just coming up with something off the top of his head. Would've like to see the clues add up a bit more throughout the story. Maybe they did and I just didn't see them. And if Cole isn't really shifting that much, doesn't that mean he's gonna die? Like soon?

Anyway, can't wait for Forever to see what's actually happening with Olivia since she was missing in this book.

Edit 17/7: I just got Forever, read the first couple of pages and realised I had forgotten alot of the story so I reread this book. It was even better.

In my first review I said it was rushed that Cole seemed to just come up with the answer on the spot. Apparently I am not nearly as smart as Cole because the clues were adding up all the way through the book (not sure how I missed that).

What I also noticed this time around was Isabel's dynamic with Sam. She has this semi-crush born out of admiration for him. Not even one that I think she will act on (maybe she does in Forever), but it seems like she can't help but recognise his goodness. That was realistic to me. Most books would make that very black and white, boring, how one person likes one person or there is a love triangle and that's it, but things are never that simple. Just another one of the unique things I love about Maggie Stiefvater's writing.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

07/27/2010 page 75
20.0% "Sooo Good."
show 1 hidden update…

Wendy Darling can I just say, I'm not gay, but I would probably turn gay for Sam.

Hah! I love Sam, too. And I love that MS wrote a boy who was not afraid to be sensitive and real. I'm curious what you will think of Forever...will look out for your review.

Thomas Oh, the innumerable amount of times I've wished for a guy like Sam... he's such an amazing character.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about Isabel's relation with Sam. You can tell she likes him more than she likes other people, but not exactly in a romance kind of way - it's like a shade of gray, which is something I also love about Maggie Stiefvater's writing.

Anyway, I noticed you're reading Forever at the moment. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am! :)

message 3: by Nick (last edited Oct 16, 2011 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick I'm always drawn to that in books, I care as much about the side-relationships as I do the main characters. Like in Mockingjay, I cared about Katniss and Finnick's friendship as much as her relationships with Gale and Peeta, it just makes a story more three-dimensional.

Yes, Forever is so good! The story and the writing is even better than the first two :) I'm only like a third of the way through but I think it will be my favourite in the series.

Iqra Asif Really? I'm currently reading Forever and i feel like there isn't enough of Sam and Grace together. But of course i still love this whole Trilogy. For me Linger was the best part. I loved how MS describes Grace's sickness and how she got turned into a werewolf.