Sasha's Reviews > Drink This: Wine Made Simple

Drink This by Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl

1202719
Oct 22, 14

bookshelves: cooking, nonfiction, own, favorites
Recommended for: everyone who can drink wine
Read from September 19 to 21, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

What an excellent book! Writing with a slightly raucous sense of humor, Grumdahl narrows the field to a certain number of grape varieties (what was it, 8?), tells you all about them in their different incarnations, and then sets out a plan of 5+ more specific types of wines from that type of grape, for you to drink for yourself. The idea is not so much to tell you what's good to drink, but rather to have you sample worthwhile representative selections from a broad spectrum of each type of wine, and see what you like for yourself--and in the process, learn something about each type of wine. She does a really great job at simplifying a vast subject, not just into something one can abstractly understand, but also something one can choose and drink. I think this is a book everyone should read, if they like wine with food even a little bit.

I think I've been drinking worse wine than most; liquor stores here are government-run, and nearly all the wine I've drunk in BC has been acrid, which I believe means that it's sat around with a dry cork for too long. I did a search for top rated wine stores on yelp (I think yelp is probably a great accompaniment to this book, since the difference between a great wine shop and a yuppie sucker wine shop may not be obvious from the outside), and I plan to start going through the wine bottles as soon as possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drink This.