Chris Griger's Reviews > Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work

Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew B. Crawford

M 50x66
Jul 15, 2010

it was ok
Read in July, 2010

I really liked the idea behind this book (or at least what I thought the idea would be from the book cover) - which defended jobs that require real, measurable work over the "information" or "knowledge" work that is so common today. My initial impression was that this could even be targeted towards the high-school student deciding what career to pursue - and after reading a number of technical books, I was looking forward to some lighter reading for a vacation.
However, this book started and ended highly philosophically (with plenty more in the middle) - not the easy read that I was looking for. At other times, the author would speak more plainly about some of his work as an electrician or mechanic - which was both interesting and written very well.
In the end, I think that the information on the cover misrepresented the book and in general I find myself very frustrated with authors that write things in very complicated ways that could very easily be written in straightforward language, so I was not a big fan of this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shop Class as Soulcraft.

04/05/2016 marked as: read