Rachel Parker's Reviews > The Outsiders

F 50x66
Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: final-10-books-july-20-2010
Read in July, 2010

This book is about Ponyboy a 14 year old greaser and his group of friends (Two-Bit, Steve, Dally, Johnny). He has two older brothers Sodapop and Darry who take care of him since his parents died in a car accident. Where he lives you belong to two groups either the greasers or the socs. There is an ever going hatred and war between these two groups. One day when Johnny and Ponyboy are walking around near the park they get attacked by a group of drunk socs. The socs start drowing Ponyboy in the fountain and Johnny takes out his switchblade and stabs the leader killing him. Immediately the other socs run for it and Ponyboy and Johnny are left with what to do. They decide to go to Dally for help because he knows what to do when you are in trouble with the law. Dally tells them to take the train out of town and go into hiding and he would help them as soon as he could. From here the story gets better and better.

I truly enjoyed this book. Even though I'm female and most of the characters are male I could relate with many people in the book. You could relate to the different relationships and the hatred between the different cliques. It really made me think about why you choose the friends you do and what you should stand up for. I really don't see why it would be that controversal, because I'm really glad I read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.