Colleen's Reviews > Nursery Crimes

Nursery Crimes by Ayelet Waldman

Aug 04, 10

Read from July 15 to 31, 2010

The subtitle "A Mommy-Track Mystery" caught my eye because I've been on the mommy track a long time! I should be able to relate to this detective more than those in other mysteries, right? At times I could relate to her, especially during her interactions with her daughter, Ruby. The problem is that this book just wasn't very good. I gave it two stars but it really deserved only 1 1/2. The biggest problem, and it's a big one for a mystery, is that the mystery wasn't engaging, or interesting, or even much of a mystery. And, as our mommy-track crime fighter, Juliet, gets closer to solving "who-dun-it," it gets even less interesting and more predictable. Why would Juliet want to solve the mystery of the murder of a woman who she met for all of ten minutes and who rejected her daughter from her "prestigious" preschool? Why would she put her life on the line (and her unborn baby's) confronting narcissistic, power-crazed film executives and cheatin' spouses to solve the murder of this woman? There's lots of Los Angeles film industry name-dropping in this book so it shouldn't surprise me that the story seems like an amalgam of movies such as "Legally Blonde" and "Fargo." I don't know if Waldman's strength lies in being a crime writer. She's getting rave reviews for her new book, Red Hook Road, (which is why I read this book) so maybe she should stick to serious literature. This is an amateurish attempt at a mystery. And if this is the most interesting case Juliet gets to solve, I think I'd just stay on the mommy track.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nursery Crimes.