Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > Hex Hall

Jul 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: gave-up
Read from June 25 to 27, 2011

For once a story is not directly focused on vampires and werewolves. Oh how glad was I to hear all these positive reviews for this book.
Clearly that was too much of an ask.

Rachel Hawkins was not immune to the recent romantic supernatural push. This book had a cliché start with an unknown magical father and a mundane mother. Add in a private school setting, 3 bitches after the poor main characters and one extremely hot guy that happens to be dating the Queen Bee and we have a "perfect" formula.

I guess this book had a good twist and some parts were good enough to push me to this far (half of the book) but the ill-tempered, I'm-a-tough-girl-but-I'm-not-immune-to-hot-guys Sophie annoyed the crap out of me. There was just not enough depth in any of Hawkins' characters. But I can clearly tell that Hawkins use to be a high school teacher because the drama level in this book is through the roof.

I will not however, chase readers away from this book/series. If you had enjoyed Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty and the Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare, you might have found a book that fits your taste, but I was not a fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

06/25/2011 page 24
7.0% "A slow and cliché start. Let's hope it gets better."
06/26/2011 page 105
33.0% "The while plot is VERY similar to Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty. 3 bitches bugging a loner girl to join their "coven." I am not very impressed right now."
06/27/2011 page 165
51.0% "A Great and Terrible Beauty plus The Mortal Instrument series. Not a great combination of weak, pathetic female characters."

message 1: by Gini (new)

Gini Hey what did you think of the humor? Everyone seems to think this is the funniest book ever? I couldn't stand it.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Funny? When were their jokes inserted into this book?
I mean, the "Bad Dog" part was just very grade 5. To be honest, I couldn't remember laughing at all while reading this. The "Bad Dog" part I remember because it was just THAT bad.
I am glad you and I are on the same page. :)

message 3: by Gini (new)

Gini Thank God its so refreshing to find someone who doesn't say that they pratically pissed themselves reading it. Sophie was just so damn prickly and sarcastic at every turn and I know it was suppoused to be funny but it was just annoying. That being said I didn't hate the book just Sophie.

LOL yeah the bad dog part was painful to read, I am glad to find we are are the same page too!

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen I agree that Sophie just got way too annoying for me to continue. Crying and getting mad at the kleenex thing. She is so unstable. Another Bella Swan perhaps?

message 5: by Gini (new)

Gini Don't even get me started on Bella, lol, god what a an effing dud she was! So you didn't finish the book? Becasue the sequel was rather good.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen No, I did not. My sister has, however, and thought the sequel can go somewhere so I might give it a try...

message 7: by Gini (new)

Gini You might like it Sophie is a little more tolerable in it:P