Quinn's Reviews > Deeper

Deeper by Megan Hart

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: erotic-romance, library-book, fiction-drama
Read from February 20 to 21, 2011

This should probably be a 2 star rating for the story, but the quality of the writing just edges it up to 3.

Unfortunately, Deeper was a massive disappointment for me. Broken was one of my top reads for 2010, and created some pretty high expectations of this author’s work. I had heard that Deeper was fairly controversial, and I can usually appreciate that in a book. The reviews are polarised, and it seems to invoke a love/hate response in readers, so at the very least, I was expecting to have strong feelings about the book. Ummm... No.

There was nothing about this book that made me care enough to have a strong reaction, either positive or negative. On the whole I found it (or, to be more accurate, my experience) to be decidedly mediocre, which was the complete opposite of what I was expecting. Any positives were counterbalanced by negatives, so I just ended up feeling a bit ‘meh’ about the whole experience.

Firstly, I was already aware of what I expected to be a big spoiler in that the hero was (view spoiler). Well given that was announced on the back cover and was made pretty clear by the end of the first chapter, there was no big twist or reveal in play. I have seen this author be pretty darn clever in her writing, so I was looking forward to seeing how she handled that (even knowing it in advance), only to find out that there was no secret to reveal. (view spoiler)

Secondly, these would have to be among the most unsympathetic, uninspiring characters to have ever graced the author’s pages. If I cared a whit about the characters I probably would have forgiven the fact that the story took three quarters of the book to actually progress to any extent. As it was, I read chapters about ‘Then’ that too closely resembled a YA novel about teenage angst, with chapters from ‘Now’ populated with the same characters that I didn’t particularly like, who had no depth. By the time there was actually some significant movement in the story, I was almost beyond caring.

The author does write with some amazing insight and detail, and more of that was on display here, but it seems to me now that maybe she only excels with fractured relationships. This book really only captured my interest in the last third when we finally got a little bit of angst and heartbreak going after pages of nothingness. What I will say, is that the emotions had more impact because of the contrast and the pages and pages of mundaneness preceding them.

I wasn’t completely sold on the romance when they were younger, told in the ‘Then’ chapters; and the ‘Now’ chapters focused almost exclusively on their (repetitive) sexual relationship, which meant that my emotions were never fully engaged. This is not a romance, erotic or otherwise, but it did have the potential to be a wonderful love story, and there are certainly many readers who feel that it achieved that mark. Unfortunately, I am not among their number.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, I have heard many complaints about the ‘wall-banger’ ending. I didn’t have any issues with the ending - it was one of the few times these characters actually got it right! And a special heads-up for those of you who don’t tolerate cheating in your books – although it wasn’t one of my complaints, it might be one of yours.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deeper.

02/20/2011 page 11
3.0% ""He hadn't been her first lover or the first boy to give her an orgasm. He hadn't even been the first she'd loved. He'd been the first to turn her inside out with something as simple as a smile. The first to maker her doubt herself. He'd taken her deeper than anyone ever had, and yet she hadn't drowned."..." 6 comments
02/21/2011 page 222
59.0% "*sigh* I have faith in you Megan Hart, I do. But whatever it is you've got up your sleeve, could you please pull it out sooner than later?" 8 comments
02/21/2011 page 302
80.0% "OK. Better. I'm starting to feel glad that I stuck with it. Some very interesting layers going on now." 17 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Awww, too bad this one didn't live up to your previous experiences with this author. It's disappointing when a book can't evoke a strong reaction either way.

message 2: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:21PM) (new)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Excellent review, Quinn! I'm sorry you didn't have have similar experiences as you did her previous books you've read. You explained what didn't work for you very well! I especially liked what you said here:

"If I was able to connect with the main characters on some level, then this might have been quite a powerful way of unfolding the story and adding layers at the end. Part of me can observe that and appreciate it in theory, but that was unfortunately not my reality. So while the writing was lovely, as I expected, and I did like one of the secondary characters quite a lot, I wasn’t engaged until the end of the story – and by then, it was too little, too late."

And likely those who loved the book, could relate to in a powerful and positive way, based on their own experiences. What you said makes me think of this quote that I had just jotted down today, actually, from a library book I read recently and was going to return (The book is a YA PNR- The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong):

“Life experience. I can talk it up, vow to broaden my horizons, but I’m still limited to the experiences with my life.

How can a person understand an experience that lies completely outside her own? She can see it, feel it, imagine what it would be like to live it, but it’s no different from seeing a movie on a screen and saying, “Thank God that’s not me”.

The cover is beautiful, though, and you mentioned the writing was, too. But when one cannot sympathise with/relate to/care about the main characters, even beautiful prose can't make the reader love the experience, unfortunately. Great review.

message 3: by Quinn (last edited Feb 27, 2011 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Quinn Catherine wrote: "Awww, too bad this one didn't live up to your previous experiences with this author. It's disappointing when a book can't evoke a strong reaction either way."

Thanks, Catherine. You're right, I would rather passionately hate a book then feel... nothing. I will still definitely be reading more from this author - I still love the way she writes.

Quinn Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Excellent review, Quinn! I'm sorry you didn't have have similar experiences as you did her previous books you've read. You explained what didn't work for you very well! I especially liked what you ..."

I do love the cover. I was saying on another thread that the cover was the best thing about the book for me! And yes, she does write beautifully so I will definitely be reading her other books. I think I saw another reviewer who said that this one was one of her weaker books, so that's encouraging!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "Thanks, Jayne. That's a great quote! There is no doubt that other readers were fully drawn into the story, and there are some very heartfelt and impassioned positive reviews. I just didn't feel it, you know?"

Yeah, we can't all feel the same things. Makes life interesting! ^_^ Well, that's encouraging if another reviewer also felt that this was one of her weaker books. Have you planned which one of hers you will read next?

Quinn I'm still going with the Order of Solace series, although the first one didn't wow me. I'm hoping they'll get better with a full-length novel. The library has Tempted by Megan Hart, but there is no way I am borrowing it with a cover like that! But I'd really like to read that one and Dirty.

message 7: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy Great review Quinn but DAMN I just got this one because I LOVED Broken so much. I just assumed it would be as awesome with an (from what I read in reviews) unconventional ending. Oh well I'll still give it a shot

Quinn Thanks, Buggy. Fear not! There are plenty of 5 star reviews out there for this one and you might yet be able to add your own praise.

Unfortunately, for me, it fell way short. I wonder whether I would have liked it more had I read it before Broken? Alas, we'll never know.

I hope it works better for you than it did me!

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You Fantastic review, Quinn! I haven't read Broken so I can't compare the two, but I have read 3 other novels by Hart & they all were very good IMO. I knew Hart was going to slip up & fuck up one of these days & I must say, I'm happy it's with this book. I wasn't feeling the plotline anyway. Ghosts, oceans & middle aged women-who I CANNOT relate to at the age of 21.

I'm sorry this one sucked so much for you & everyone else who read it & was less than impressed. Maybe you can comfort yourself by knowing that you've saved a lot of readers from spending cash on such a lackluster novel.

Quinn Thanks, Lethal! It sounds like you know enough about the plotline to know whether it'll work for you or not - unfortunately the writing didn't save it! Which three have you read, Lethal? I need one to restore my faith!

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You Yes, I know the whole storyline from being a spoiler-ho. After I decided not to read it from your updates, I read Eastofoz's review & hell no, not for me.

I've read Dirty by Megan Hart Tempted by Megan Hart Naked by Megan Hart.

I rated every book but Tempted 5 stars & I rated that 4. REALLY good. Especially Naked & Dirty. But I'd advise you to read Tempted before reading Naked, since the hero is a MC in Tempted. I think there are some overlapping character(s) from Broken in Dirty but I can't be sure, since I didn't read the former.

Quinn Thanks for that, Lethal. Damn that Tempted cover. I'll either have to go to the library in some kind of massive disguise, or just bite the bullet and buy it. Either way, I'll have to wrap it in brown paper before reading it!

Are you planning on reading Broken? If you haven't already worked it out, I loved that one.

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You LOL! No problem, Quinn! To be honest, it didn't even look like a naked threesome to me. The cover is so damn orange. Everything blends together to the point where I had to look very closely to figure out what was going on.

I haven't read Broken & I don't plan to at this time. I'm not a fan of infidelity in romances & the ones I did enjoy with it were exceptions. I know that Hart is a gifted writer & lots of people loved that book but it's just not something I'm cool with.

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness LethalLovely~I Alone Love You. Fear Is Not the End wrote: "LOL! No problem, Quinn! To be honest, it didn't even look like a naked threesome to me. The cover is so damn orange. Everything blends together to the point where I had to look very closely to figu..."

Hey Lethal, havent seen you around much! Just something quick, in Broken, there isnt any physical infedility. Im with you, cheaters are not cool. But this is certainly one of those exceptions. You really should give it a go. It made me cry. It was a beautiful book. Pwwweeessseee for me *best puppy dog eyes*???

Quinn LethalLovely~I Alone Love You. Fear Is Not the End wrote: "LOL! No problem, Quinn! To be honest, it didn't even look like a naked threesome to me. The cover is so damn orange. Everything blends together to the point where I had to look very closely to figu..."

Thanks again, Lethal.

I've had this discussion before, and I know lots of people have very black and white views on cheating, but I think that's tough, if not impossible, to do with Broken. There was categorically no physical cheating, and when you take into account the circumstance, I remain unconvinced that there was any emotional cheating, either. It's a very thought-provoking book, but I can understand your hesitation in reading it.

Quinn Thanks, Sam. :)

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You *Lethal nods* Well said, Sam & Quinn. I too have had discussions about cheating & the definition of cheating in Broken. I'm not saying that I won't ever read this book but right now I have no desire to go down that road. I still have two Hart books-Stranger & Taking Care of Business-on my TBR that I'm excited to read. Maybe when I finish them & need a Hart fix, I'll rethink my stance on this book.

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness OK then lovey :) Im reading stranger next.I just finished Temptation - I still feel a little funny about it.

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You Yay! Let us know what you think of Stranger. And Temptation? I don't think I've heard of that one.

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness LethalLovely~I Alone Love You. Fear Is Not the End wrote: "Yay! Let us know what you think of Stranger. And Temptation? I don't think I've heard of that one."

Tempted - I meant tempted....sorry.

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You Hahaha! It's all good. ☺ I LOVED Tempted. Would you mind explaining why you feel funny? Not a lot of my friends have read it & I'd love to discuss.

Stacy Totally agree. What I've been enjoying so much about Hart's books is that the sex is almost secondary--more as a framework to support some really affecting emotional exploration. I felt that way with Switch, more so with Tempted, but especially with Dirty and Broken. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find anything more than sex between Bess and Nick. And since he was still 21, it's not like he'd done any emotional maturing of his own. About halfway in, I was practically screaming at her to throw Nick back, already, and drag Eddie home by the belt!!! :)