Lara's Reviews > Biting the Sun

Biting the Sun by Tanith Lee

Aug 20, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, science-fiction, dystopia-post-apocalypse
Read from August 19 to 20, 2010, read count: 1

I liked this one a lot, once I got used to it. It's one of those stories where you're sort of just dropped in, and there's all this new vocabulary and a culture that's completely other and seems nonsensical at first. And then you figure things out a bit as you keep reading.

I'm not sure how I would have felt about this if I had read it as it was originally released, in two separate books--Don't Bite the Sun and Drinking Sapphire Wine. They fit so seamlessly together, and I wonder if I would have bothered to pick up the second book if it wasn't already attached to the first in this version--there's no real closure at all at the end of the first book, which is kind of a pet peeve of mine, even in series.

In any case, it really made me appreciate Tanith Lee's writing skills. No two books/series of hers that I've read have had the same voice, which seems like a really rare thing. And I am really impressed that in a story where people switch bodies like crazy and the social interactions feel so transitory and surfacy and the narrator's thoughts are so...scattered and bitter and confused, I still managed to really fall in love with several of the characters--Hatta, Danor... And the main character--I don't believe she is ever actually named, and that never even occurred to me, so delicately is it done, until I tried to come up with it just now! Nice work, Ms. Lee!

In the end, the main plot isn't frightfully original, but I feel like the way it's written makes it feel more so somehow. I really got immersed in this world, to where I had a hard time stopping myself from thinking about it last night long enough for me to get to sleep! This only makes me want to read more of what Tanith Lee has done, since I have really only scratched the surface. Bravo!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biting the Sun.

08/19/2010 page 19
5.0% "Ehhhhh...not sure what to think of this yet. Maybe it will be more coherent the farther in I get?"
08/19/2010 page 72