Debbie's Reviews > Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell

1945325
Jul 15, 2010

it was ok
Recommended to Debbie by: http://lafemmereaders.blogspot.com/20...

I was hesitant to give this a rating below 3 stars since I am curious to check out the sequel but most of this book was so painful to get through and I was tempted to put it down so many times I felt I had to go with the 2.5 stars. It was not until the last 40 pages or so I really felt drawn into the book and then was disappointed it ended when it did.

The Story Line

This book really tries to cash in on two of the hottest YA fiction trends right now, vampires and fallen angels. Michael's theory as to why they have these abilities is that they are vampires. Ellie does not buy it but does not have a better answer. After she gets caught sneaking out to fly with Michael her parents finally explain part of what she is and what is going on. Unfortunately for some reason not explained yet they cannot tell her the full story which of course leads to trouble. I really hope the reason all the "good" angels feel they cannot tell Ellie and Michael what is going on is a good one because you would think they should see that it's obvious their method of keeping the two in the dark has not been working out so well. For the most part I thought the story plodded along and nothing in particular grabbed my interest.

The Characters

I honestly had a hard time caring about Michael. Other than the fact that he's good looking, shares the same abilities as Ellie and maybe leans a little more to the dark side we don't see much of his personality. We get to know Ellie a little more but I still had a hard time feeling a connection with her. Most of what we see outside of her coming to terms with her abilities is how she treats her best friend, Ruth, horribly, feels badly and Ruth continuing to be the faithful friend despite everything that Ellie does.

The Romance

The romance was one of the worst parts of the story for me. Even though Ellie and Michael have apparently met 3 years earlier and had their memories wiped we see nothing of that interaction so when they meet at school and are suddenly together it seemed rather out of the blue. Other than their special abilities there was no build up of why they would be attracted to one another. Like I mentioned above we don't see much of Michael's personality so other than being hot I don't see why Ellie is attracted to him. The romance just did not work for me and hopefully the next book will show more character development that can explain why these two should be together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen Angel.