Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Another one of those slow starting books that hits you in the gut about halfway through and makes you fall in love with the story. I was thinking about this book long after I finished it. This book draws you into an underground world in which humans are fighting to keep their last few numbers alive.

The main character is two part, one half is the girl who's trapped inside her own body but can't speak, the other half is the alien residing in her body that's taken over. I call this book sci-fi lite because the story is much more about love, persistance and survival than about the actual aliens.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber The ending though...

Stacia (the 2010 club) The last few chapters were definitely different.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber I meant the ending, it totally felt like a cliffhanger to me. They meet others and then it ends. So much unused potential.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 13, 2012 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) There are "supposed" to be 2 more books. She had plans for a trilogy. As to if they ever get written, who knows. If the movie is a success, I'm sure we'll see books 2 and 3 pop up. At this point, I don't really care. I would read the books but am not needing to know what happens next either.

As of now, I'm sort of not sure how I feel about The Host becoming a movie. I think it has the potential to be a good movie but Meyer's success probably needs to die out so we can move on from being submersed in all things Meyer. Granted, I actually liked this book and thought it was much better developed and not as weak plot-wise as her Twilight series but I also know the hate fest is already coming...I'd rather just avoid it altogether.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber I agree, I liked this book as well but hate Twilight. I would've liked to see a sequel. Maybe one day. It's been so long now I don't care anymore but I remember being super pissed about the ending when I finished it in high school.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wish she'd almost written this one under a different name. People raise that eyebrow at you if you admit to liking a Meyer book. Then I say that this isn't the same thing at all and they don't believe me.

Although, the first 100 pages of this book were confusing, so I understand why some people quit out before getting to the best part. It took me a while to get to the point where I was excited. The underground cave system was interesting to read about and I was fascinated by their spray on healing stuff. I want some of that.

Vanessa Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one. My sister is currently reading is. I'm interested in seeing how Meyer transitions into this series. The plot sounds quite interesting...we'll see how things go :/

Stacia (the 2010 club) Have you seen the movie trailer yet?

Vanessa Yes! I think it comes out in March.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen hmm...I guess I'm going to have to read this b/c I want to see the movie. It's not really my typical genre but I've heard it's good. I'm just not really into Scifi.

Stacia (the 2010 club) This one isn't really traditional sci-fi. It's more of a romance mixed with a survival story. I'd actually sort of wished that it had been more sci-fi than it was. The first few chapters are sort of bizarre, but the tone changes after a little while.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber Stacia (the hype killer) wrote: "This one isn't really traditional sci-fi. It's more of a romance mixed with a survival story. I'd actually sort of wished that it had been more sci-fi than it was. The first few chapters are sort ..."

i agree with everything you said!