Stacey Conrad's Reviews > Sunshine

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Jun 23, 11

bookshelves: hs-copy
Read in June, 2010

Robin McKinley is one of my favorite authors—I have read everything she’s written. Sunshine is not a new book of hers, but it is the one I’ve read most recently; I was reluctant when it came out years ago, because of the vampire storyline. After enjoying the Twilight series, I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did!

Sunshine works in her mom and step-dad’s coffee shop café—she is the baker. The world they live in is very much like ours except the wars have left magical scars on the land. You see, the wars were against supernatural creatures—weres, vampires, etc. Vampires are considered the worst, and are hunted and destroyed by a specially created police unit. Sunshine doesn’t worry too much about any of this, until she is captured and left for dinner for another captured vampire. He doesn’t “eat” her and she helps him escape. They start an unlikely and wary alliance.

What I liked about Sunshine was that it departed from the Anne Rice style of vampire stories into the magical fantasy genre that Robin McKinley always writes in. How could I have doubted her? Shame on me. I would love to read a sequel—so would many others—but it’s not in her plans, according to her blog. Ah well. . . I’ll just wait for her next book, Pegasus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.