Jessi's Reviews > The Golden Season

The Golden Season by Connie Brockway

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance
Read in May, 2010

"Wealthy, orphaned Lady Lydia Eastlake reigns over Regency England as the town's most celebrated beauty. But she must face losing the only life she's ever known when her fortune suddenly disappears-and the only solution is to find a wealthy husband. Enter Captain Ned Lockton, a rich and dashing war hero who sends Lydia's pulse racing. Little does she know that the enigmatic captain's family estate is secretly on the selling block--and he's on the hunt for a rich bride who will rescue his family from poverty ..."--Publisher

Why I picked this up: Since I am completely broke, in ever sense of the word, a romance novel that did not feature super-rich heroes really appealed to me.

I was intrigued by the storyline itself, but I only kept reading to see how these two worked their lack of funding out. It wasn't as satisfying as I imagined it would be, mostly because these two still purchased expensive clothing and gifts on credit. The heroine was a little too perfect in beauty, brains, and kindness to really appeal to me. Ditto the hero. However, I was intrigued by the fact that the story does not end with a pile of money falling in their lap and by the fact that most of the secondary characters also did not get a magical happily ever after. Brockway writes a very grown-up romance and while it doesn't do much for me, I can see why many people enjoy her books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Season.

05/05 marked as: romance