Iowa City Public Library's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, john, staff-picks-blog, young-adult

** spoiler alert ** Voldemort fails. Now you know.

I felt like part of something big when I picked up my copy of the new Harry Potter Saturday. There are programs where all Johnson County reads one book, and a statewide program, but this was global. I was startled by the number of people who had finished by Monday. "It’s not a race," I thought, having lost, but in a way it was. Most of us want to find out for ourselves who dies before hearing it from friends or the media. (You won’t find out here.) Stories floated around the library tho, of folks who only read the last chapter or the last page. The computer at the Reference Desk had a search in the Google tool bar–"harry potter spoilers". I averted my eyes.

Nobody reads J. K. Rowling for her prose, tho it’s perfectly serviceable. What she does that’s special is imaginative, giving us witty, clever surprises. To that we now have to add her talent for choreography, the way she revisits so many characters and scenes from what has been a very long series. I always feel like I’m trying to catch up, as the books come out a couple years apart. Since she can maintain tension for hundreds of pages at a time, I read so fast to find out what happens, I can’t always remember later.

It will be nice to wait 10-15 years, and reread them all at once.

Poor Hedwig. Oops. --John