Iowa City Public Library's Reviews > Lean Mean Thirteen

Lean Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: kara, mysteries, romance, staff-picks-blog, audio

Tuesday was one of those days ~ I was trying to get things caught up at work because I was scheduled off the rest of the week (my daughter was having surgery Wednesday – tonsils and repair a broken nose). I was stressed and rushed. I was also facing a day in a hospital waiting room without a good book. THEN ~ the eMail I’d been waiting MONTHS for appeared. Janet Evanovich’s Lean Mean Thirteen was READY FOR PICKUP! I wanted to run downstairs to the hold shelves, hugging each and every Technical Services and Circulation staff person along the way, to retrieve Evanovich’s newest installment in the Stephanie Plum Bounty Hunter series. I restrained myself and walked quickly, giggling a few times in anticipation of Stephanie’s crazy adventures. How many cars would she demolish? How many buildings would she burn down? What will Grandma Mazur do this time? Which of Stephanie’s love interests will win out ~ Morelli or Ranger? (BTW ~ I’m rooting for Morelli!)

I don’t often get so excited about books, but I’m addicted to Evanovich’s Plum and Nascar series. Both offer fast moving storylines, quirky characters, lots of laughs, and an overall good mystery. Lean Mean Thirteen did not disappoint me. I barely noticed the time in the waiting room, and was only moderately embarrassed the times that I laughed out loud and everyone in the somber room looked at me. (Many thanks to the staff at the hospital who gave my daughter exemplary care!!)

If you haven’t read Evanovich, I’d recommend starting with One for the Money and continuing the series in order ~ although you can read them in any order if parts of the series aren’t immediately available. The series starts a bit slow but gets better as it goes. There’s a couple books in the series that aren’t quite up to par, but overall they provide hours of laughs and great reading. The audio recordings are all great quality as well. ~ Enjoy ~ --Kara

From ICPL Staff Picks Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lean Mean Thirteen.