Sunday's Reviews > The Way We Live Now

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

Jul 15, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Live Now.

message 1: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan I've actually owned a copy of this, and a couple of other Trollope tomes, for many years. Your recent consciousness-raising about him may kick my ass to finally engage them.

Sunday Every time someone reads a Trollope, another year is added to my life. DO YOUR DUTY.

I think "The Way We Live Now" is Trollope's most "meaningful" work, in that is does delve into politics & the meaning of moola. All I have to say is dandy ass Felix Carbury is my joy, so you know he's awful.

message 3: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan Hopefully you'll still be alive by the time I get to it; otherwise that extra year won't mean shit. (Here is where you remind me that you are the more likely to outlast me...)

Politics and the meaning of moolah would make this of particular interest to me. Yes.

But I'll make this a goal for this year. I may pencil it in for July-ish, but I can be flexible.

message 4: by Tine! (new)

Tine! Something interesting your Beloved said about the city I am temporarily inhabiting:
After the Civil War, Anthony Trollope, the noted British novelist, wrote, "Pittsburgh without exception is the blackest place which I ever saw, the site is picturesque, even the filth and wondrous blackness are picturesque.... I was never more in love with smoke and dirt than when I stood and watched the darkness of night close in upon the floating soot which hovered over the city."