Elias's Reviews > Ten Things I Hate About Me

Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Recommended to Elias by: the bookshelf at High Point library
Recommended for: kids of religious conservatives, or minority kids
Read on July 13, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Interesting insight into racial/ethnic tensions in Australia. Though I appreciated the positive regard the protagonist had for her Lebanese Muslim heritage, it seemed artificially clear to her that she did love her heritage. I would expect with the amount of pressure she faced in school that it might have infiltrated her own sense of her heritage, to manifest in some amount of self-loathing, for that to surface in tension with her family or her madrasa. Instead, she very clearly and articulately loved her heritage, and only had a conflict in deciding whether she could be honest about her heritage with her friends at school (summary: first n-10 pages: no. Last 10 pages: yes.). The whole thing was resolved rather cleanly, and the book ended before we could see whether there were any repercussions for her in "coming out" as Lebanese Muslim.

Anyway, not a bad book, and I certainly love books that explore religious identity and the interface between family identities and assimilated identities, so it might get another half star for exploring this girl's relationship with her conservative father, and showing that he wasn't always conservative, but that his rigidity was born out of wanting to be a good parent. Plus he relaxes a little at the end (see: last 10 pages) so that's nice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things I Hate About Me.