Candi's Reviews > Treasure Island

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: classics, middle-grade, piratical
Read in July, 2010

Pirates!
What else is there to say? Flip to any page and there is a great quote in piratical lingo:

"But you're never happy till you're drunk. Split my sides, I've a sick heart to sail with the likes of you!"

and

"As for that swab, he's good and dead, he is. He warn't no seaman, anyhow. And where mought you have come from?"

I love pirates, especially pirates in books, because how they talk shows up so well in print. Now some kids books about pirates are just useless because the publishers clean up the pirate speak in the interest of early grammatical learning. Isn't that teaching bad literature though? I don't think a couple of "Arr"s and an "Avast" make a pirate.

Now this being the quintessential pirate book there is everything in this book that has inspired all later pirate lore, maps with X on the spot, a talking parrot, a peg-legged sailor, men named Black Dog and Billy Bones, and the ruthless, treacherous way that pirates lived their lives.

I don't think I could love this book enough, it's a kids book told from the perspective of I think a 12 year old boy, but it is full of violence, bad morals, and disobeying orders being a good thing. Seriously everything that people would not want in a kids book, but this is the story that has been made into more movies and plays than any other book.
If you have a reluctant reader around the age of 10, I'd get an old copy of this book, rip the cover off and try to hide it out of reach.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure Island.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susan It is a good book! We are always hoping to find the treasure!