Mary's Reviews > The Dangerous Days of Daniel X

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson

Jul 15, 10

did not like it
bookshelves: middle-school-books, fantasy

I read this because it's an NJ Battle of the Books title for 2010-2011 and expected to like it because I liked Maximum Ride well enough. Wrong. The more I read of this, the more resentful I was that I had to finish it. I was bothered by the condescending tone of the first person narrator, who makes asides directed to "you" to draw in readers and demonstrate how in touch with kids the authors are. There are, however occasional SAT type words thrown in (e.g. "extant"). The short chapters (1.5 to no more than 3.5 pages) may appeal to reluctant an unsophisticated readers, but I wondered why there were chapter breaks in the middle of conversations even when there was no cliffhanger or change in subject.In the second half of the book the pace picks up and the plot becomes a bit more interesting, but every plot contrivance screamed at me "this is totally implausible" especially when Daniel walks around (and runs and climbs and converses, etc.) after having been shot in the stomach. I guess I was looking for some rules and some consistency rather than Daniel's comments explaining away the inconsistencies. I prefer books with strong characterization, and I don't really feel that I know much about Daniel by the end of this book - or maybe I just don't like what I know that much, and his imaginary friends (Willy, Joe, Emma, Dana) lost me simply by virtue of being imaginary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dangerous Days of Daniel X.