Mark's Reviews > We Disappear

We Disappear by Scott Heim

Jul 19, 10

Read from July 15 to 18, 2010

I don't say this very often about writers but I'd like to read this man's poetry. The thing I love about Heim's writing is he takes the most painful or bizarre situations and creates the most vivid, lyrical, lasting imagery out of them. He writes about the leaps and bounds the mind makes in order to explain or justify some kind of trauma or painful event to itself. He did this brilliantly in MYSTERIOUS SKIN, not as effectively (in my opinion) in IN AWE, but he reaches full frutition here in WE DISAPPER. He explores some themes familiar to him but from a different angle. Clearly he's writing about something much more personal. At first, I had trouble accepting the narrator's credibility and some of the events of the story seemed kind of a reach but as the whole thing subtly changed focus and drew towards its conclusion it all made total sense to me and i can't imagine it being any other way. Days later I'm still trying to pick apart the real from the imaginary in it and wondering how the characters are getting along. I may read this again to see what I missed. This (to me) is the mark of something great.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Disappear.