Trak's Reviews > The Scent of Shadows

The Scent of Shadows by Vicki Pettersson

Jul 17, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy-sci-fi, fiction, book-club
Read from July 15 to 17, 2010

I really do not what to think about this book. There was an amazing anount of back story crammed in which tended to slow down the pace. There were so many good ideas which needed further development. I mean does anyone really know why light and shadow fight? Except for the obvious that they are opposites, I mean what is the big prize in all this? A couple of things that bugged me:
the superhero reference - all the time
jo-jo - I know its his pet name for her - but all the time
the big picture is never clear - what really is at stake here
the poor me of joanne/olivia - all the time
plus it would have been good to know who is who in the zodiac
also it seems fairly clear where some of the story is heading.
It was an okay read, the author is trying to create a really interesting world but we spend so much time in the head of the main character we truly do not get a full understanding of what is going on.
Most of the characters are just cardboard, no soul, no reason for their behaviour. No understanding of why some choose light and some choose shadows and this zodiac is a chapter number - so my question is where is the rest of the army? Are they in different cities or is the battlefield just Las Vegas.
Comic Shop dudes - needed more understanding why they are there. Too may questions that should have been better explained.
I have not read the second book but some stabs in the dark about the future plot - Joanne/Olivia more than likely pregnant with Ben the father, return of mother, return of Joanne/Olivia's first child, torment over do I choose Ben or Hunter and hopefully better evil dudes with a clearer reason behind why they are so evil.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent of Shadows.

07/15/2010 page 70
15.38% "its a book club thing"