Megan's Reviews > Unlikely Soldiers: How Two Canadians Fought the Secret War Against Nazi Occupation

Unlikely Soldiers by Jonathan F. Vance

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: historical-non-fiction, wwii, own
Read from July 15 to August 22, 2010 — I own a copy

This book was an extremely profound and almost refreshing read. I find that far too often than Canada's contributions in both the First and Second World Wars are neglected due to the Americans blazing in toward the end. Any books I have found about the Canadian involvement are often so dry and written so poorly that it is quite hard to maintain any sort of interest.

However, Vance's "Unlikely Soldiers" literally rewrites this. The majority of the book reads like a fictional thriller, and is quite difficult to put down. Ken Macalister and Frank Pickersgill's contributions were unparalleled, and it is a shame that not many people know about them without having read this book. These two young men went above and beyond what was expected of them, and while their mission ultimately failed, one cannot overlook what they did for the Allies during the short time they were a part of the War.

My only complaint about the book that was toward the end it became less and less about Macalister and Pickersgill and more and more about the other people involved who were British and French. I had picked up the book wanting as much information given to me about the Canadians involved, and was somewhat disappointed by the last few chapters. However, one can chalk this up to the secrecy of their mission and not much information being known about it in the first place.

If you're a fan of WWII history, I strongly suggest you pick this up and give it a whirl. You will put it down once you've finished it with a profound sense of understanding, and perhaps regret that these young men were not able to reach the full potential of the lives that they could have had.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlikely Soldiers.

07/15/2010 page 11