Joyzi's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Jul 15, 2010

bookshelves: e-book, adult, books-to-movies, fiction, reviewed, historical-fiction, chick-lit, realistic-fiction, contemporary-fiction, favorites, contemporary-romance
Recommended to Joyzi by: clevvertv
Recommended for: 18 years old and above, Crazy Rob Pat fans
Read from October 30 to November 02, 2010

Book Review for Water for Elephants

elephant

Caution: Folks as much as I want everybody to read this book I have to say that this is definitely not a YA book. It contains offensive language, violence and over the top sex.

Before anything else, I'm going to share this song Satisfy by Vedera because some guy in Youtube make this a soundtrack for the book and I think the song captures the emotions in the book accurately.

♫♪If there was a way to try and make it back
Back to where we started from
Could I find a way to try and make you stay
Would I know what could be done?

I don't want to deny my heart its chance to feel
I don't want to deny my soul something real

Is there anything left in this world that will satisfy me?
Is there anything left in this world that will satisfy you tonight?

We were sailing on
I could see the world below
Never thought of coming down
Expectations fell
It seemed as though our will was no match for the trouble found

So take my hand and i wont look back
Though I've lived tossed along these waves
I will stay♪♫

To watch for the book trailer here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPiv2w...

Aaaaaaw if only I can find a way to sing that song to you guys *coughs* I mean I'm pretty good at singing, really, that the Mockingjays will immediately stop singing...*coughs*, sorry can't resist my Katniss Everdeenish alter ego atm

Now back to review

Pros:
1. It's a story about circus life, I repeat, CIRCUS LIFE PEOPLE! I mean who doesn't love circus, come on. Also I remember when I first saw a circus when I was in 3rd grade I was so amazed by it(the circus I mean) that I'm telling my mom that I wanted to join the circus(I know, hmmmpf, one of my childish idiocies, *roll eyes*).
2. The book has an intense(consider that an understatement) PROLOGUE. I think it's impossible for a human being not to read the book after reading the prologue, that's how intense it is. To give you an idea what the prologue is about I leave you with this one word MURDER .
3. I love the main character of this book and I'm sure that he's one the characters that I've read that I won't forget. He's very sweet, funny, kind, smart and he's sort of a too good to be true character, to be honest with you guys. It just seems that he has no flaws, he's sooooooo pur-wait for it-fect!.
4. The sex scenes are hilarious. Trust me not repulsive but hilarious and it literally made me ROFLMAOLOLOMGBBQROFLCOPTER! (translation for noobs= rolling on the floor laughing my ass off laughing out loud Oh My Gosh Barbeque! rolling on the floor copter!(copter means helicopter lol, just a dumb way to say something is funny)
5. It has an elephant. I mean who doesn't love Bambi the Elephant (ah sorry wrong character), I mean Dumbo the Elephant? And Rosie the Elephant was as cute as a button Geeeeeeeez, if elephants can be domesticated I'll have an elephant in our house.
LIL DUMBO Pictures, Images and Photos
Dumbo Pictures, Images and Photos
6. It made me cry (Crybaby that I am, the unrequited love just get to me GRrrrrrrr(hate this book for making me cry)
7. It has also parts wherein Jacob was in a nursing home and I heart those parts of the book. As a student nurse I must say that Sara Gruen really captures the true setting and atmosphere of a nursing home. I also learn a lot of stuff from Jacob's perspective like when he said something about nurses taking no notice of his you know private parts blah blah(too lazy to elaborate just read the book) and I realize that those maybe were the thought of my geriatric clients whenever I change their diapers and they have these really sort of embarrassed, sad face after that and they don't look into your eyes and I guess I kind of understand why they do this by now, by reading this book.
8. Love the ending, the ending was very heartfelt and very happy and sort of sentimental.

Cons:
1. The sex scenes were a little bit over the top.
2. There was this scene of Barbara doing a freak show that is very sexual and kind of tips me off.
3. When the author describes some of the circus show it was confusing and hard to imagine at times but I guess those would be really good in the movie.
4. Somehow imagining Robert Pattinson with those over the top, crazy, circus sex scenes disturbed me and I wish the movie would lessen the mature sexual content of the book so that the teenagers can also watch the movie.
5. There are some boring parts specially in the beginning. The beginning lacks conflict and I guess if I'm an impatient reader I have not finish the book.
6. I really hate the "I am pregnant bomb" in a story, ever since I've read Breaking Dawn I really hate it when the girl and the boy will have sex and then the girl will ended up pregnant. I know it's the 1930's and probably condom was not invented yet but idk it still irritates me.
7. I hate Marlena! I usually hate dormats so I guess I'm being myself hating this woman.

I'm going to shut up now, just read this *coughs* if you're 18 years old and above!

Thoughts Before Reading This

Robert Pattinson,Edward,Twilight

Holy fuckadoodles Robert Pattinson will stars for the movie adaptation of this book. I will definitely read this!!!

Here's the link:

And I also heard from one of the reviewer here in Goodreads that this book is as good as Book Thief and honestly I heart heart Book thief!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

10/29/2010 page 1
0.0% "OMG the prologue kills, love it!" 2 comments
11/01/2010
40.0% "ROFLMAOLOLOMGBBQROFLCOPTER!"
11/01/2010
80.0% "OMG This book made me cry WTF!"

Jennifer Lane I LOVED this book and I think Rob will do a great job in the lead role.

Joyzi Yeah Go Rob!

Carolynn This is one of my all time favorite books! I hope you enjoy it! :)

Leah I really liked this book. I wouldn't have pictured him in the role, so I'm glad I read it before I knew. :))))

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] Aw, I see the trailer of it. grabe! I will definitely read this. i love rob.

Joyzi Read the book it's really good too

Kwesi 章英狮 Love the cons.

message 8: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Eh. Oh I wish I bought this the time I found it at Book sale. Ugh

message 9: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Nov 02, 2010 06:16AM) (new) - added it

Kwesi 章英狮 Weh, sayang I bought my copy from NBS sale bin for 99 pesos.

message 10: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Kwesi Ian Jay wrote: "Weh, sayang I bought my copy from NBS sale bin for 99 pesos."

I saw it for P75. Heh. I will get it as soon as possible.

Kwesi 章英狮 Buy it then, I think you will love it.

Joyzi Buy the book people! Love it, just wish that the movie will do justice to the book. I'm trusting Rob Pat to not ruin Jacob's character. Go Rob!

Kristi-The Book Faery Excellent review, Joyzi! Now I have to read it!!! Bravo!
I didn't know you were in Nursing School! Very cool!
I'm an RN working on my Masters!

Joyzi Yeah read the book I know you gonna love the nursing home parts. Glad to meet a fellow nurse like you ^^

Kristi-The Book Faery Oh, btw, LOL @ Cons #6, Condoms have been around for a loooooong time. They used linen sheaths in ancient Egypt and eventually animal intestines along the way, ROFL!!!

Joyzi Really haha I didn't know that, thanks for sharing that nice thought^^

Kristi-The Book Faery Yep, I'm just full of useless information :op

Joyzi lol but intestines as condoms that was really funny and sort of gross at the same time lol

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] I will. haha. 99? 75 pesos? dang! Ill try to check this out in our NBS and booksale.

Joyzi Buy this Diane! For the love of ROB PAT *squeals*

Kristy great review!! I've been so curious about this one for a while!!!

message 22: by KaiPea (new) - added it

KaiPea O: I never really find Robert Pattison, attracting but he looks mightily handsome on that photo.
Love the review. I think I'll be reading it soon. :3

Joyzi yeah he looks delicious in that photo ^^ *drools*

message 24: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin Great review Joy. The mention of sex made me want to bump this up my TBR pile. Kidding!

Thanks for this new acronym: ROFLMAOLOLOMGBBQROFLCOPTER. I'll think I'll put that to good use. ^^

Joyzi yeah you can also try lolasaurus or lollerblades, lollerskates

Joyzi I've got plenty of ways of saying lol

message 27: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin Haha. Pwede!

message 28: by Regine (new) - added it

Regine intestines yes... they still use sheep bladder condoms for people that are allergic to latex. lol.

Great review, and the picture at the top actually made me LOL. I'm still debating whether or not I want to read this book. I have a few coworkers that have recommended this to me too.

Joyzi sheep bladder condoms? eeeeewww

Joyzi Read this Regine, it's actually good if you like circus and stuff

message 31: by Regine (new) - added it

Regine I might actually give it a try before the movie comes out. i'm not a huge fan of Robert Pattinson though :(

message 32: by Po (new) - added it

Po I can relate with the story somehow because I worked in a zoo before it's great a lot of excitement and discoveries esp. about the animals their behaviour, skills, and great acts. For me Water for Elephants is a great story that describes my years working for animals...

message 33: by Valentina (new)

Valentina thanks for the warning. I hate reading something and then having to stop 'cause of some awful aspects.

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I really like this book. I showed him the role, so I'm happy to read it before I knew.

Watch Free Movies Blog

message 35: by Melly (new)

Melly really appreciate the warning I've said it before but i really feel like there should be disclaimers on books or on some list that says this book might not be for some readers because...

message 36: by Melly (new)

Melly also really loved the way you wrote this review it was entertaining and straight forward