Quinn's Reviews > Black Ice

Black Ice by Anne Stuart

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: library-book, romantic-suspense
Read from July 27 to 28, 2010

Meh. And I had such high hopes for this book too. Maybe that was part of the problem.

Chloe Underwood finds herself unwittingly caught in a dangerous ring of big time crims and cartels. When she discovers too much, her subsequent necessary removal is considered at best a minor inconvenience, at worst, collateral damage, by both those who seek to kill her and the man who finds himself inexplicably driven to save her.

The problem here is I didn't develop any form of affinity with any of the characters. There was nothing particularly wrong with Chloe per se, nor was there anything particularly right. And Bastian was just a cold bastard whose final show of some kind of emotion was just too little too late. As a result, I didn't care about either of them or what happened.

Even so, the ending was abrupt and I received absolutely no pay-off for persevering. This is not bad by any means, for me it just wasn't good either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Ice.

07/27/2010 page 31
8.0% ""Chloe had been nursing her go-to-hell attitude for years now, and though living in Paris had helped, it was far from a finished product."" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MelissaB Quinn - I have similar problems with this author. I don't connect with the characters and the heroes are way too cold for me. I don't get the epilogue I need to see if they even have a chance so I have a hard time imagining them actually making a life together.

Quinn MelissaB wrote: "Quinn - I have similar problems with this author. I don't connect with the characters and the heroes are way too cold for me. I don't get the epilogue I need to see if they even have a chance so I ..."

Totally agree Melissa. I also have a hard time categorizing this as a romance because, well, there wasn't any. I love a good romantic suspense, with 'romantic' being a key word. Bastien was about as romantic as herpes. Have you read the others? Should I bother?

MelissaB I read the next one and liked it even less, the hero was colder and the heroine annoyed me.

Quinn MelissaB wrote: "I read the next one and liked it even less, the hero was colder and the heroine annoyed me."

Thanks Melissa, I wont bother (although I am intrigued as to how the hero could be colder than Bastien...!)

new_user LOL. Yeah, he was pretty cold. When I read it a second time I found a few redeeming hints here and there- somehow.

message 6: by Quinn (last edited Jul 29, 2010 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Quinn new_user wrote: "LOL. Yeah, he was pretty cold. When I read it a second time I found a few redeeming hints here and there- somehow."

NU, I did pick up a FEW hints and glimpses here and there too, but I didn't think the writer ever realized that potential enough to redeem him for me (he did get brownie points for leaving the torch with her in the crawlspace). Don't think I'll be reading it a second time though ;)

new_user LOL. Don't blame you.

message 8: by Buggy (last edited Jul 02, 2012 11:20PM) (new) - added it

Buggy Damn I was looking forward to this one its been on my TBR shelf forever :(