Amy Bruno's Reviews > The Princeling

The Princeling by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Oct 21, 2010

bookshelves: arcs, historical-fiction, 16th-century, elizabeth-i, england, read-in-2010
Read from September 10 to 14, 2010 — I own a copy

In The Princeling, book three in the Morland Dynasty series, introduces readers to a new generation of Morlands. Paul’s grandson, also named Paul and his wife Elizabeth are now the owners of Morland Place and an aging, yet still feisty Nanette is holding strong as the family matriarch.

England is now ruled by the Protestant Elizabeth I and the hot button topics of the day are what the new Queen will do regarding the topic of religion, her choice of husband and how she is going to handle the antics of her cousin Mary Queen of Scots. Readers follow the Morlands’ adventures at the court of Elizabeth I, to Scotland and the court of Mary Queen of Scots, the wilds of Northumberland and of course, home at Morland Place. As the country’s religious discord heightens it creates an inner conflict of the Catholic and Protestant factions in the Morland family.

Having been really disappointed in book two, The Dark Rose, I believe the series redeemed itself with The Princeling. I really enjoyed this generation of Morlands and the book held my attention from start to finish. One thing about this series is to never get too attached to a member of the Morland family because Eagles has no qualms about killing them off!

Next up in the series is The Oak Apple, which takes place during the time of Charles I and the English Civil War. There is no release date yet for the Sourcebooks re-issue.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princeling.

09/12/2010 page 118
26.0% "already better than book two!"
09/13/2010 page 266
59.0% "I am really digging this generation of Morlands!"