Jessi's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, teen, 2009-favorites
Read in March, 2009

This is definitly one of my favorite books of the year - I keep trying to recommend it to everyone and their dog. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator did an excellent job adding to the overall tone of the book. The story is darkly hilarious filled with quirky characters and a touch of magic. Cameron, a teenager with a semi-functioning but depressing family life, is diagnosed with Mad Cow Disease. Soon, he is visited by a punk rock angel with pink hair, torn fishnet tights, and spray painted wings. She assigns him a quest to save the world and find a cure for his disease. She also gives him a sidekick - a hypocondriac dwarf. Their adventures from Texas to Florida are both fantastical and believable. It is ultimatly the story of confonting your own mortality and finding the important things in life. The writing, in which is in first person through Cameron's eyes, is sarcastic and stark reflecting his personality. The story moves at a nice pace, sometimes frantic, sometimes leisurly as their adventure unfolds. The story is loosly based on Don Quixote, which I think comes out most clearly in the end. Definitly give it a read or a listen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.