The Tiny Cat's Reviews > The Iron Hunt

The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu

1561991
Oct 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, demons, fantasy, fiction, kick-ass-heroine, urban-fantasy
Read from October 09 to 15, 2010

'The Iron Hunt' is one of the darker urban fantasies that I've read, almost bordering on the line of being depressing. Almost. Liu is a fanastic writer and it shows well: the plot, the characters,and especially the sense of inevitable doom were what made the story for me.

Maxine Kiss, born of a long line of female hunters, is the last of her kind. By day she is invincible and protected by her tattoos. By night, those tattoos come off and her little demons come out to play. All is not well- the veil, prison of the demons, is breaking down and Maxine is the only one to stand against it. And who is this meddling man known as the 'wolf' or Sarai 'the unicorn'? Or the man with knives for feet and the girl who wears her face?

Although not being a mystery novel, it certainly had me guessing and confused. We start out the same as Maxine- not quite knowing whats going on but surrounded by people who do, but whom refuse to give up their secrets. And all we do know is that the world will probably end soon. And I believed it- the sense of helplessness; Liu is good enough to transfer me to a desolate place with no hope of a future. I felt as if there was no place I can run and the world was covered in darkness. But there was also a sense of hope, a light at the end of the tunnel, albeit seemingly unreachable.

There should be one thing readers be weary about; there is little to no romance in this book. The back is quite misleading.

"I chased echoes in my dreams. I sprinted after flights of notion and fancy: dragons wet with ocean spray and men with bows and hooves and long, sleek tails; giants slumbering in mountain streams; or the sphinx, riddle-heavy, crouched with a whisper. I dreamed of moons; I dreamed of war, armies breathing down my back with armored princes begging; and I dreamed of the boys unleashed as hounds of Hell, burning the earth beneath their claws, destroying it with a fury."

"No one is more terrible than the leader of the hunt. No one is more feared. Her desire is her outcome. Her wish is the command."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Hunt.

10/09/2010 page 200