Trisha Leigh's Reviews > Numb

Numb by Sean Ferrell

Aug 17, 10

Read in August, 2010

I finished NUMB, by Sean Ferrell, over the weekend. I had no trouble getting into the descriptive, yet accessible prose. The writing is wonderfully layered; I’m still rummaging through the lingering thoughts and concerns in this novel left in the back of my mind. The story follows a man called Numb who knows nothing about his past – or why he can’t feel any pain.

As he wanders through his days amassing scars on his body and soul, Numb let’s other people control his life and decisions. He floats along, figuring when he finally discovers his past then he’ll be able to grab hold of his future.

Along the way he attains a certain amount of notoriety, none of which he desires but that he doesn’t avoid either. Sean Ferrell has a real knack for making Numb, the unapologetic narrator of the novel, likable even when he shouldn’t be. He paints the insecurities and hopes of these desperate characters in a way that makes me ache for them, root for them.

It’s a beautiful story that takes on an issue we all struggle with – that maybe it doesn’t matter who we were. We can only take control of who we are and who we want to be.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Numb.