Lois Duncan's Reviews > While My Sister Sleeps

While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky

Jul 14, 10

Read in July, 2010

Summary: Young woman is rendered brain dead from a heart attack; family sits by the bedside for days agonizing about whether to take her off life support and donate her organs; they decide to do it.

That's a situation, not a story. It should not constitute a full-length book. And it's obviously written by someone (yes, I know she's a popular writer) who has never been through this.

I'm super critical, because my own daughter, Kaitlyn Arquette, 18, was chased down in her car and shot twice in the head; survived 20 hours in a coma and then was pronounced brain dead; our family made the decision to take her off life support and donate her organs. So I know what it's like, and this feels like a shallow reproduction of the real thing.

There are also technical problems with the writing itself. The author keeps switching viewpoints within the chapters which is jerky and disconcerting. Not Barbara Delinsky's best book by any means.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While My Sister Sleeps.