Kristi's Reviews > Let the Great World Spin

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Oct 19, 10

bookshelves: family, friendship, heart-warming, historical-fiction, true-to-life
Read from October 17 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy

Wow, did this book ever prove me wrong. Half way through I'm wondering what the heck is the point of all of it. I'm upset because I don't see how the tightrope walker is even tied into the overall story, and yet the synopsis made it seem as if he was a pinnacle point to the story.

He was. Finally about 3/4 of the way through you see how the tightrope walker (I know that's not the official name) ties into everyone else's stories, and how the day he walked had a big impact on everyone's lives. Not neccessarily that his walking impacted them, but that day was a turning point (a crossroads) in all their lives.

I'm upset with myself for wondering through so much of the book about what the point was. I mean that's life right? We all have to figure out what the point of our own lives are.

In the end, I really enjoyed the book. I enjoyed how the characters tied to together. I enjoyed how Colum McCann showed that we all make decisions and those decisions shape our future.

I especially liked a statement found in the author's notes, at the back of the book. "Literature can remind us that not all life is already written down; there are still so many stories to be told."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Great World Spin.

10/18/2010 page 19