Carole's Reviews > On the Divinity of Second Chances

On the Divinity of Second Chances by Kaya McLaren

F_50x66
Jul 14, 10

Read in July, 2010

Five stars may be a bit generous, but I wanted to set this book apart from others that "I really liked."

I loved this author's view of life: that earth time is like a "giant field day where we willingly choose the limitation of racing with both feet in a potato sack, or sometimes we join up with another and agree to the limitation of racing as a team where each person has one leg tied to the leg of the other....Agreeing to run a race with limitations or live a life with limitations doesn't mean you're slow, clumsy, or unenlightened. It just means you're showing up on field day, participating, and if you're really good, you try your best despite the obstacles."

In another analogy she compares earth life to deciding to go on a trip to Africa, for example, knowing it will be difficult but hoping the adventure will be worth the sacrifices of running water, clean food, etc. Once there you ask "What did I get myself into?" and aren't sure you're going to make it. After learning to eat grubs and survive without toilet paper, you return home and talk about how much you learned and how grateful you are for that experience. "Same with Heaven and Earth."

The characters in the book are quite bizarre; even so, it's surprising how I could relate to some of their emotions. I suppose it's partly because I'm at the stage in life where the concept of second chances is very appealing.

This author seems very young to have developed such wisdom. I'm going to find and read her first novel, CHURCH OF THE DOG.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Divinity of Second Chances.