Justin's Reviews > Wonder Boys

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon

Jul 14, 2010

Michael Chabon is a great writer - and I don't mean "great" as in he's really good. Yes, he is really good, but what I mean by great here is that he will be remembered as one of the best, most accomplished authors of his generation. Seriously.

Chabon's second novel "Wonder Boys" under that vague classification of "academic setting droll humor" type good (see: "Lucky" Jim by Kingsley Amis or "Changing Places" by David Lodge), but like the aforementioned it is by no means a genre piece.

It is instead a character study of artists, teachers, students and the relationships that are endemic to this type of setting.

Yes, it is serious, but it is also damn funny, with a twisted yes totally plausible plot that allows even the most seasoned reader to predict how it will all resolve itself.

This is not Chabon's best book - so far that would be the Pulitzer Prize winning "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"), but it is terrific nonetheless.

(The movie - with Michael Douglas and Tobey McGuire - is actually pretty good and faithful to the book - but I would definitely recommend reading the book first as there really is no comparison.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Boys.