Ruth's Reviews > Exclusively Yours

Exclusively Yours by Shannon Stacey

Jul 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: steamy-dirty-smut, series, contemporary-romance

This one was OK, but, for me, it wasn't up to the same standard as the other books by this author. I guess most of my reasons for not liking it much are down to me really, but I had a number of issues with it.

- The hero and heroine dated in high school (OK, they spent most of their time in each others' pants). It was the best sex of the heroine's life. So far, so good. Then we're told she's always carried a torch for him, and he's the same about her. Hmm. Why? I ask. Why would two nearly 40-somethings still be obsessed about something that happened 20 years ago? I can hardly remember the names of my boyfriends in high school, and I honestly don't think I'm heartless or abnormal. Can anyone actually remember much more than the names, and one or two embarrassing memories, 20 years down the road? From the way they lust over each other, and the way he still has angry feelings about her leaving, you'd think it had been only 2 not 20 years ago. I would have preferred for them to come together having actually lived a bit of life first, rather than getting the impression that neither of them ever got over the best sex of their lives, which just seems a tad depressing to me, and an awful waste of 20 years.

- The super-bitchy sister - I couldn't really understand what the purpose of Terry in the story was, other than to throw a wet blanket over everything. Including her in the story just made the whole thing much less enjoyable a read than it should have been, and I couldn't muster on iota of sympathy for her or the way her marriage had fallen apart. And again, what was with the sister not forgiving and forgetting something that happened so long ago?

- I honestly thought the hero pulling the camping-trip-from-hell routine on the heroine as emotional blackmail was pretty much as cheap as it could get. He practically implied that she'd have to sleep with him, and put up with his family, and do loads of outdoorsy shit she'd probably hate, to stand a chance at keeping her job. I also struggled with his descent into drink after the heroine dumped him in high school. It's really sad, and it does happen, but, honestly, it's not romance hero material to me, and no matter how sexy he was, or how wealthy, he struck me as just as emotionally immature at 40 than at 20, and carrying a whole load of personal and personality issues with it. I just couldn't like him.

(view spoiler)

- OK, now the number 1 reason I really couldn't get into this story was, and don't laugh, that I have a real aversion to communal organized activities. I hate the idea of not being allowed to make up my own mind and make my own choices, so the idea of everyone HAVING to do all the activities on vacation as a group makes me shiver. It probably didn't help that I was actually spent spring break this year at an apartment building where 20 families were doing just this - kids spent the day trying to drown my 5-yr-old, and the parents spent the day, and evening, getting completely shitfaced on the beach. But look at this another way.. Take exercise classes, for example. The last time I actually went to an exercise class was about 10 years ago, and I lasted all of 15 mins of "move faster!", "follow me!", and, my favorite, "now let's really go for it!" before I walked out. I don't like being told what to do, or shouted at, or given no choice, like I'm an idiot and can't make up my own mind. So, just thinking about a camping trip (and, BTW, I LOVE camping, so it's not an anti-camping thing going on) with the family of any of my exes (or even my own beloved family, or my husband's slightly less beloved one) just makes me grind my teeth. And I just couldn't wipe out that tense-shoulder, out-of-control hopeless feeling I got when I considered the heroine's situation. I know I'm bonkers, but there you go.

Now, having said that, I do really like the way this author writes. It's light, flowing, and she writes some fabulously funny lines, and I also really want to know what happens to the other brothers, so I'll read on and hope I don't have any hang-ups like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exclusively Yours.

06/21/2011
8.0% "Holy crap. This family sounds like the campsite family from hell. You know, the one camping group the rest of the campsite absolutely hates for being loud, taking up too much space, grilling too frikkin' late at night.."
08/20/2016 marked as: read

Ruth Free on Amazon today!

Holli lol
I know what u mean about the campers from hell. what was with all the 4 wheeling? I come for nature not to pollute nature and scare it off!

Holli totally agree with your review by the way.

message 4: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Great review. Agree with your points a hundred per cent! I actually loathed this more than you do as I felt that there seemed to be a strong negative vibe against women who actually wants to have their own individuality, career and chance to explore the world outside their comfort zone, which is more than I can say for the hero who seems to have an unnatural attachment to his family and can't even step beyond his comfort zone! This book really pissed me off (as expressed in my review) and has placed this author in my blacklist.

message 5: by Ali (new)