Zeek's Reviews > Road To Paradise

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: favorite-author, fiction, literary
Read in September, 2008

Tough book to process:

Road to Paradise is nothing like The Bronze Horseman Trilogy by this author- LOVED those books- and can't really be compared to her other books either. The book is all about dialogue- both internal and external.

Road To Paradise centers around Shelby Sloane- a young woman unsure of who she is and unsure of who she Shall Be. So she decides to take a road trip across the states in her mint condition canary yellow mustang, given to her by the woman who raised her. The same woman who is not her actual mother but the one who was her mother, none the less.

Which brings us to the point of the road trip:

Shelby needs to know why her birth mother just up and left her and her father all those years ago. She believes her mother is in Mendocino, CA, and, more than anything, she knows she needs to settle that aspect of her life before she continues on to Harvard where she's been accepted on a track scholarship.

When once best friend, Gina, discovers Shelby's making the trip to Cali, she horns in on the escapade to get to a boyfriend who left her behind. Shelby does, and doesn't, want Gina to come along. You see, they've had a falling out over that same boy, (of course!). But she also misses their longtime friendship and when Gina swears she'll help with the financial aspect of the trip- sensible, plan-everything-to-a- T Shelby, agrees.

From the get go, the trip is sidetracked- much to Shelby's frustration. Gina promises her Mom they'll stop by several relatives houses- SO not on Shelby's plotted course- and when they pick up a young girl abandoned by the side of the road, Shelby might as well have thrown her best laid plans out the window right then and there.

The girl has issues. SERIOUS issues. Yet Simons gave her a wisdom beyond her experiences and years.

Simons obviously also uses the dialogue between the girls while on the trip as a way to express her personal opinions, which didn't bother me one iota because I liked her opinions! You just have to resolve yourself to that aspect of the story telling to "get" this book. Still, it took me til the end of the tale to fully appreciate what all was going on- but, I swear I did get there- because, after all, it's not the destination, it's what we learn along the journey that counts.

And THAT is what this book is all about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Road To Paradise.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Great review, Zeek. This book was recommended to me and your review helped. Thanks!

message 2: by Zeek (last edited May 02, 2011 09:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zeek Thanks LK- the book can certainly be tedious but I cant say that I didnt like it... the book that is, not the tedious part! ha!