Jane Stewart's Reviews > The Cinderella Deal

The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie

Jul 14, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in July, 2010

3 ½ stars. Fluffy, enjoyable, light romance. The characters were stereotypes but fun. It’s a nice little escape.

STORY BRIEF:
Daisy is an artist; she paints pictures. She also tells stories at local libraries and book stores. She buys clothes and furniture at thrift shops. Her home is full of color. She adopts damaged dogs and cats. She’s desperately in need of a thousand dollars for back rent and other necessities.

Linc is Daisy’s neighbor. He drives a black Porsche which Daisy calls the nazimobile. His home is decorated in black and white. He is an English professor at the city college. He wants a teaching job at Prescott College which would give him time to finish writing a book. During the job interview Dr. Crawford (dean of humanities at Prescott College) makes it clear that Linc be married. Therefore, Linc tells Crawford he is engaged. Crawford insists on meeting Linc’s fiancé. Linc hires Daisy to pose as his fiancé for 24 hours to meet Crawford. She agrees for $1,000.

After Linc gets the job and starts working, he informs Crawford that he and Daisy broke up. This is unacceptable to Crawford who insists Linc get her back.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I had one problem which is a pet peeve of mine. Soon into their relationship Linc was falling for Daisy and desired her sexually. But he refused to act on it or to show her that he cared. And Daisy did the same thing. She never let Linc know that she desired him. I saw no reason for them to “deny that they wanted each other” other than as a plot device. This went on for four months. If you don’t mind that, it’s a fun story.

I noticed another reviewer was unhappy with Daisy being self-absorbed. An example given was Daisy moving Linc’s furniture out to make room for hers. But after Linc discussed this with Daisy, she worked hard to recover and repaint her own furniture to make it more appealing to Linc. He also ended up liking where she put his furniture – a good place for his home office. They communicated over their differences, so I wasn’t as troubled over this part of Daisy.

DATA:
Story length: 278 pages. Swearing language: mild. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: 2. Total number of sex scene pages: 5. Setting: current day unspecified city and Prescott, Ohio. Copyright: 1996. Genre: contemporary romance.

OTHER BOOKS:
I reviewed the following Jennifer Crusie books.
5 stars: Bet Me, Anyone But You, Welcome To Temptation
4 stars: Charlie All Night
3 ½ stars: The Cinderella Deal
3 stars: Crazy For You, Getting Rid Of Bradley
2 stars: Faking It, Fast Women, What The Lady Wants
1 star: Tell Me Lies

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cinderella Deal.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Norma Glad you enjoyed it. You didn't love it, but I'm glad you didn't hate it. :) It is fluff. Maybe that's what I liked about it.

Jane Stewart I did enjoy it, fluffiness and all. And "you" are the reason I read it. I saw you mention it. Thank you :)

Norma Aww. I love talking books with you and Carrie. We need to pick a book and read it at the same time so we can discuss.