Janet's Reviews > Flipped

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Aug 17, 2010

bookshelves: great-characters, my-favorites, young-adult
Read in August, 2010

I enjoyed Flipped. The back and forth in the point of view was good as Bryce and Juli interpreted their interactions slightly differently, but enough to keep them from really seeing the other as they really were. I liked the way Bryce's character evolved and the how his own growth brought an uncomfortable awareness of his father's character flaws.
Flipped was a good commentary on the importance of looking deeper than the surface, and that we often fail to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flipped.

Natalie Janet- My 9 year old just brought this home from school. Do you think it's age appropriate for her? I just started reading it, but it might be a couple of days before I can finish it!

Janet It's been a while since I read it, but I think it would be fine for her. If she's an "old" 9 yr old, particularly. The relationship between the two characters is not the typical tween romances that tv and movies likes to push. It's very innocent. The themes can be a bit heavy, but only because they're complex dealing with human nature and failings. It would spark great discussions and teaching moments.