MaggieReadsRom's Reviews > A Duke's Temptation

A Duke's Temptation by Jillian Hunter

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: fv-guestreview, historical
Read from November 09 to 12, 2010

3.75 stars...rounded up to 4 stars for GR and FVBR...

A DUKE’S TEMPTATION is a Regency-set historical romance that feels very different from other Regency romances I’ve read and I mean that in the most positive way. This has a lot to do with the hero and heroine of the story. The hero is Samuel Aubrey St. Aldwyn of Dartmoor, the 4th Duke of Gravenhurst and member of the House of Lords by day and author Lord Anonymous by night. Samuel is charismatic, controversial, rakish, ill reputed, self-assured and cocky yet not arrogant or derogatory. He has a way of making you smile while shaking your head at the things he does and says.

The heroine of this book was just adorable. I wanted to hug her the whole time I was reading the book. Miss Lily Boscastle of Tissington is from the country and on the verge of marrying her childhood friend Captain Jonathan Grace. However her trip to London, just before the announcement of their marriage, takes a turn she never could have imagined in her wildest dreams. Lily is an avid reader; you might even say she’s obsessed with reading, something I know I can relate to. She’s flirtatious, impulsive, smart and witty with an air of sweet innocence and honesty.

This book was a rollercoaster ride of things happening, there was a lot going on that the reader is aware of but the main characters aren’t and that’s a way of presenting a story that I really like. For instance, the many sides of Samuel: his secret identity of a popular author, his reputation of an indiscrete rake and his devotion to lost causes. Then there’s Lily's betrothal to the Captain, which she breaks off, after she witnesses a side of him she didn’t know. This evolves into a small suspense side plot that was a little predictable and for me could've been left out as the book was entertaining enough and the romance was strong enough without it.

After the broken off engagement fate brings Lily closer to Samuel when she decides to be a housekeeper as she her reputation is ruined because of what she says she saw but no one believes her. Though of course Samuel helped fate a little.

Between Lily and Samuel the chemistry and attraction is instant. It starts as anonymous flirting at a masked ball, is continued when Lily signs on to be Samuel's housekeeper for a year. Though for Samuel it's more than mere attraction and he's ready to take the next step and commit to Lily, he gives her time to form reciprocating feelings.

Familiar with Jillian Hunter after reading the first two books of her Boscastle Family series I was drawn right back to her smooth, vivid and fluent writing style that accurately pulls you back in the time-period yet doesn't give her books that halting old-fashioned feel some historical romances have. I would have appreciated a few more steamy scenes, but that's the only true complaint (if you can call it that) I have.

Jillian Hunter kept the pace moving fast and forward constantly. The pages and chapters flew by imperceptibly and before I knew it I was at the final chapter. This was invigorated by the fact that I found it hard to stop reading, every time I had to put the book away because of the late hour or other things, I couldn't get back to it, and Lily and Samuel's lovely story, fast enough. I loved how Jillian Hunter had Samuel work through scenes and plot holes by having his staff acting out his writing, as if they were performing a play of the book

A DUKE’S TEMPTATION is an utterly entertaining, fast-paced historical romance. I was sad when I reached the last page and knew it had ended and Lily and Samuel's story was told. Though seemingly simple and straightforward it’s an intricate and layered story for any reader willing to see the intensity and depth hidden in the fluff and lightness

This book put a smile on my face and reminded me why I, though favoring certain subgenres in romance, would never give up reading historical romance. When you make me smile and sigh within one breath, you will definitely be put on my list of authors to keep an eye on and Jillian Hunter was already on her way there but with A DUKE'S TEMPTATION she's managed to definitely secure her position on that list. And I need to continue the Boscastle family series as soon as I can.

Favorite Quote:
He moved like seduction unleashed at her urging. She wondered if she would be able to move at all the next morning, if she would even try. For an electrifying moment she met his gaze. She saw past his sensuality to the intense emotions he struggled to hide from the world. He beckoned her into their dark vortex, reveling his vulnerability to her without a word.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Duke's Temptation.

11/10/2010 page 0
11/12/2010 page 281
80.0% "Samuel to Cpt. Grace: "You're all cock and no stones." ---LOL You tell him Samuel!"
11/12/2010 page 352
100.0% "Lovely, lovely book!!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Judith I read and reviewed this one for The Book Binge--it is a story within a story, really different characters with some secrets that make the story come together in the end and all in all, a very good read. Not a simple tale--very complicated book.