Katie's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: netgalley, favorites, arc
Read from October 15 to 17, 2010

Okay, I'm actually going to try and put into words how awesome this book is.

It's been about a month or so since I read it, sooo forgive me if this review lacks in details.

I would also like to start off by thanking HarperTeen for sending me an ARC so that I may review this amazing book before it hits stores.

UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand is undefinable. Debut? Yes. Really freaking awesome debut? Yes. First part of a trilogy? Yes. Can't wait a whole year for book two? Of course I can't! It's a new take on Angels (or Angel-bloods in this case) and if you're a sucker for romance, well here you go. A chance to get weak in the knees and laugh at the same time because of it. The story itself is quite a journey. Clara is our main character. She has a purpose to fulfill. She must save a mysterious boy from a forest fire. This purpose relocates her mother and younger brother to the town of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. And thus, we meet Christian. The boy she must save. Of course Clara has a crush on him right away. Who wouldn't when he's a handsome, popular skiier who plays a part in your own destiny? But alas, he is dating Miss Popular Kay. Insert some epic drama there. But it's not just about Christian these days. Clara's mother can't help but hold back a lot of important information from her daughter and there are loads that Clara has to figure out on her own, or with the help of an angel-blood that she meets in her new school. Add in a plot-twisting cowboy with the intention to either irritate Clara to death or finally get her on his side and I am completely and totally signed up.

It surprised me how much I liked this book. Not only did it have the heart-ache and mystery that I love- both subtle and yet complex in their own rights- but it provided a well-rounded debut with a character that any girl can relate to. I really loved the humor that Hand uses and there were plenty of down right embarrassing moments that would make any reader 'face-palm'. I would also like to add that I lived in Boise, Idaho for two years back in elementary school and it's nice to finally find an author who lived around that same place. The scenery up there is just down right gorgeous and I think that Hand really captured it well.

Waiting impatiently for the sequel and totally completely Team Tucker,
Katie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Katie Liked

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "But she gave me the perfect gift."
Clara: "What?"
Tucker: "You.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Why would you tell me now if it's against the rules?
Clara: Because I love you.”

Cynthia Hand
“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.”

Cynthia Hand
“Think about Tucker. Think about a good memory, she whispers in my mind. Remember a moment when you loved him. And just like that, I do.

"What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?" he asked me. We're sitting on the bank of a stream and he's tying a fly onto my fishing rod, wearing a cowboy hat and red lumberjack-style flannel shirt over a gray tee. So adorable.
"What?" I say, he grins. Unbelievable of how gorgeous he is. And that he's mine. He loves me and I love him.
"Dam!" he says.

Cynthia Hand
“Have a care, Sir Tucker, lest you find yourself in the stockades."
He scoffs and looks at Mr. Erikson. "She can't do that, can she? She's not the ruler of this class. Brady is."
...
"You could strip him of his title," suggests Brady, apparently not minding at all that I have usurped his throne. "Make him a serf."
"Yeah," says Christian. "Make him a serf. Being a serf blows."
As a serf, poor Christian has already been killed several times in our class. Aside from dying of the Black Plague on the first day, he's starved to death, had his hands cut off for stealing a loaf of bread, and been run down by his master's horse just for kicks. He's like Christian the fifth now.”

10/16/2010 page 72
10/16/2010 page 223
51.0% "I'm in love with this book... No joke." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, I loved this also. And...I'm totally Team Tucker too! :)

Katie Alexis wrote: "Great review, I loved this also. And...I'm totally Team Tucker too! :)"

I know! As soon as Tucker showed up and started arguing with her I was so totally sold lol.