Brandy Painter's Reviews > Inkheart

Jul 17, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: childrens, fantasy
Read from July 13 to 17, 2010

It has so much potential. A man has such a feel for literature and such an engrossing storyteller's voice that when he reads books aloud he actually brings them to life. When he brings a couple very sinister characters into this world he must protect his daughter and keep them from using him as a tool to reap any reward they choose. Inkheart's author, Cornelia Funke, actually describes the book best within its own pages:

"...the way he would pick up a book, stroke the binding almost tenderly, then open it as if he were opening a box full to the brim with precious things. Of course, the marvels you hoped to find might not be waiting inside the covers, so then you closed the book, sorry that its promise had not been kept."

There is a good story hidden in here, but it never quite manages to come out from the shadows of the overly descriptive prose and abundance of unnecessary metaphors. There is a lot of telling and not enough showing. Things are explained and explained and explained. Nothing is left to the inference of the reader and as a result it is very predictable. The book is written in third person omniscient and we are shown everything that happens with every single one of the protagonists, even when they are not together. The library hardcover copy I read is 534 pages long and it could have been 200 pages shorter and told the story just as well. A lot of paper is used setting up the stage and introducing the characters. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help to make the characters any more real nor the action any more exciting. Nothing of real interest happens until chapter six. This is a children's novel and my teaching experience has taught me that most intermediate readers wouldn't make it that far before they quit. I almost didn't make it that far. And I hate it because I really wanted to like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.