Deanna's Reviews > So You Want to Be a Wizard

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

Jul 13, 10

Read in July, 2010

I've read this book a couple of times before (haven't caught up on my old booklists yet), but it's been several years and I really enjoyed them, so I thought I'd do them again, since there's a new one coming in the series. This is Harry Potter before there was Harry Potter, and in some ways I like it better. The author's philosophy and belief system is so close to my own, that I have wondered several times if she was a member of my faith, but I've checked her website, and apparently she is not. Maybe I should send the missionaries. Don't want to spoil the series for you, but of course, it involves young people who find themselves suddenly with an immensity of power that allows them to help maintain the universe of good and fight the universe of evil. Like Harry Potter, this requires learning things, some very hard studying, and sacrifice, and of course, near-death experiences. So if you like Harry, Ron, and Hermione, you'll also like Nita and Kit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So You Want to Be a Wizard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tracy I wondered the same thing! Loved the symbolism.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Duane "Missionaries"? (one eyebrow up) :)

message 3: by Deanna (last edited Feb 19, 2012 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna Diane,

Wow! How fun to see a comment from you here! My friend Tracy is the commenter just above you and also a member of my faith. By missionaries, I meant representatives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons). You'd find a lot in common with them. I'm sure you've seen them around -- nice young men (sometimes young women) in suits, white shirts, and with nametags incongruously calling them "Elder so-and-so." They could tell you all about "The Lone Power" (we call him Lucifer, of course) and Wizardry that comes with an oath and covenant (we call that the priesthood), and our ability to affect the universe around us once we've committed to the path of good.

Just getting started reading your cat/wizard series again. Love your books -- thanks for your wonderful talent!