Jodi's Reviews > unSweetined

Jul 13, 2010

bookshelves: memoirs, non-fiction
Recommended for: women
Read from July 13 to 15, 2010 , read count: 1

I loved Full House when I was young and watched it pretty regularly! When I saw this book at the library, of course I picked it up! I had not really heard about what happened to little Stephanie - of course we know what several others from the show have been doing but I did not know much about Jodie Sweetin. Wow! It is pretty hard to imagine her as a meth addict, addicted to cocaine, and being an alcoholic! Even her swearing and admitting to sleeping around was hard for me to wrap my head around because of her character that I grew up with in the 80's. I feel she was very open in what she shares in the book and her tale is so sad. As she said in the book, she got "stuck" in the role of Stephanie Tanner and when trying to find new acting jobs, nobody could see her doing anything else and her self-esteem plummeted. Add to that trying to make friends in junior high and high school and never fitting in because she was out so much working. Although I have never tried any illegal drugs, have never abused prescription drugs, and I doubt the 3 alcoholic drinks I consume in an ENTIRE year (it may not even be that many!!!) qualifies me as an alcoholic, but I can relate to her pain. Struggling to find self-worth is challenging and although we may struggle in different ways, the issues are very similar! I hope now that she is a mother, that she can put her addictions behind her and heal her pain, but from the way the book ended, I worry about her. I hope her parents, positive friends, and the cast of Full House can be there to help her. I did enjoy her voice and humor in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read unSweetined.